Looking to sit back with a cold beer or a cocktail in the tropical heat of Queensland? Port Douglas has a number of pubs and bars for all occasions. If you’re on a budget, head to the local pub. Prefer a margarita with a view? Barbados might be for you. Check out our picks for the best bars in Port Douglas.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Jimmy Rum’s Mixing Lounge
Bar, Fusion, $$
For a creative cocktail in the evening, head to Jimmy Rum’s on Macrossan Street. The vibe is tiki-meets-cigar lounge – sans cigars, of course. The venue is hidden in The Portico Building, so keep an eye out for a red light. Enjoy a creative cocktail from some of the finest bartenders in the region. Happy hour is from 5 to 7pm every night, where you can get a classic cocktail for around $12. The Jimmy Rum’s ‘manifesto’ explains the establishment’s goal: ‘To serve our valued patrons the most delicious drinks at the most reasonable prices in a world of vibrant tiles, exotic tunes and luxurious seating.’
Bar, Australian, $$
If the name didn’t give it away, this bar is all about rum and Caribbean style. It has a number of signature cocktails, wine and beer to enjoy as you watch the sun set over the Coral Sea. The vibe is reminiscent of a yacht club, both sophisticated and relaxed. Barbados offers a great selection of charcuterie boards and share plates, as well as light meals such as fish tacos or salt and pepper squid. This is definitely a bar to visit during daylight hours to take in the beauty of your surrounds.
Bar, Australian, Pub Grub, $$
Hemingway’s brewery is the perfect venue for an afternoon drink. Located in the Port Douglas marina, this pub is great for a sunny, social beverage. Craft beer aficionados will relish the opportunity to taste a local Queensland brew in the form of Hemingway’s Pale Ale, Lager, Dark Ale, Pilsner or Small Ale (lower alcohol content). In terms of food, you can get burgers, tacos, pizza, salads and fish, chicken or beef cuts for mains. For entrees or share plates, try the chicken wings or chilli cheese sweet potato wedges. There’s also occasional live music and discounted members deals, as well as a second location in Cairns, alongside the actual Hemingway’s microbrewery.
The Beach Shack
Bar, Australian, Italian, $
On the opposite end of town – literally, at the southern end of the Four Mile Beach – is The Beach Shack. Part bar, part restaurant, the Beach Shack offers fun and friendly casual dining in Port Douglas. While you can get ‘pub grub’ like fish and chips, a steak or chicken parmigiana, most come here for the pizza. The fusion-style pizzas come in flavours like The Mexican (Ground beef, beans, onion, jalapeños, chipotle sour cream and coriander), Casablanca (Slow braised lamb shoulder, onion, lemon, mint yoghurt and Macadamaia nut dukkah) and The Shack Special (Mushroom, prosciutto, goat’s cheese, tomato and basil). Vegetarians will like the roasted pumpkin pizza with pesto, rocket, cherry tomatoes and feta.
The Court House Hotel
Bar, Pub, Australian, Seafood, Pub Grub, $$
As the oldest pub in Port Douglas, this gorgeous refurbished court house is a sight in itself, with remnants of early colonial design like a beautiful wrap-around balcony. The Court House Hotel has a beer garden and rooftop bar, so there’s plenty of space to enjoy. The drinks menu proves the pub is welcoming to families, offering tea, coffee, juices and milkshakes for those not wanting or able to sip something alcoholic. The food menu offers burgers, sandwiches, as well as fresh seafood and a grill menu. You might have a harder time if you’re a vegan or vegetarian, as there are only a few options. The ‘Courty’ also has a sports bar where you can take in a game of NRL or AFL football.
Port Douglas Yacht Club
Bar, Restaurant, Australian, $$
‘The Yachty’, as it’s known to locals, is a great spot for lunch or dinner. Admire the ocean views over Dickson Inlet while eating a burger or sitting back with a glass of wine or beer. While a lovely spot, the yacht club isn’t known to attract young party-goers, and is better suited to quieter types and families. Having said that, it does host the occasional live music night or full moon party. If you’re travelling on a budget, go to the club on a Wednesday where, in the afternoon, yacht club members offer free sailing trips to members of the public. You must be at least 18 years old to participate.
The Tin Shed
Bar, Gastropub, Pub, Pub Grub, $$
The Tin Shed is a community-style pub, that is perfect for locals and strangers up for a good yarn and a unique insight into Port Douglas history. Also known as The Combined Club, The Tin Shed offers live music, raffles, and the occasional community activity. They have 16 delicious beers and ciders on tap, as well as a further drinks menu, providing ample variety to patrons. In true RSL-club style, members must adhere to a strict dress code that doesn’t include singlets, tank tops, swim-wear or gym-wear. Apparently shorts and thongs are fine.
Bar, Australian, Pub Grub, $$
The rusty corrugated iron exterior offers a good clue as to what’s inside IronBar. The decor pays homage to the Australian outback. Despite offering a decent family feed, IronBar turns into a party later at night. You might enjoy cane toad racing, followed by a steak, and then a spot of dancing until 3.30 in the morning.
Salsa Bar and Grill
Restaurant, Steakhouse, Australian, Pub Grub, $$
If you want a hearty meal and great service, Salsa Bar and Grill has you covered. For an upmarket version of a steakhouse, the food at Salsa’s is quite experimental. There is even coral trout on the kids’ menu. The lunch and dinner menus are a patchwork of cuisines – from creole Jambalaya to slow roasted duck – but if you’re stuck, you can’t go wrong with a juicy beef fillet or pasta. Even more varied is Salsa’s drinks menu, with a huge range of cocktails and wines from regions across the continent. Salsa’s is also available for wedding receptions.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.