In a city that’s defined more by its hidden delights than its world-famous sites, guided tours are a wonderful way to get the full Melbourne experience.
It may have an extensive and easy-to-use transport system, but Melbourne is a city best explored on foot and by boat. Its distinctive neighbourhoods are packed with must-visit attractions and unmissable experiences, but packing everything in can be challenging, even for a local. From food and drink to popular culture, the following guided tours cater to all interests without leaving out any of the good stuff.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Craft Beer Lovers’ Guide to Melbourne
As with any authentically alternative city, Melbourne has a thriving craft-beer culture. This tour moves through the nightlife of Collingwood and Carlton, introducing visitors to the city’s most popular bars and breweries, from the most established to smaller independent craft companies. Drinks are served throughout the tour as the guide explains the history of Melbourne’s beer scene and the nuances of the city’s brewing culture. The tour is the perfect mix between a fun night out and an informative session. It’s also a fantastic way to get to know Melbourne’s hidden spots that are loved by the locals. The meeting point is at the Sir William Clarke Memorial Statue Corner of Spring Street and Treasury Place.
The Neighbours Tour is one of the most established and popular in Melbourne. Ramsay Street, the little cul-de-sac where the show’s characters live, is a real street in suburban Melbourne (albeit with a different name) where the residents allow the external scenes to be shot in their front and back gardens. The tour travels along the street before heading to the Global Television Studio, where the interior scenes are shot. The meeting point is at the Melbourne Immigration Museum at 400 Flinders Street.
Guided Tour of Melbourne
This tour ticks off the must-see sights of Melbourne that are located across all corners of the city. The tour begins in the street-art-decorated laneways of Melbourne’s inner city before moving to the spectacular Shrine of Remembrance in the Royal Botanical Gardens. From there, it heads to St Kilda, home to Luna Park’s iconic Clown Mouth facade that features on so many postcards, and on to St Kilda beach, home to the adorable fairy penguins that hang out by the peer. Next up is spectacular and bustling Chinatown, and then the tour’s showpiece: Melbourne’s tallest building, Eureka Tower. Take the lift up to the 88th floor and enjoy the panoramic views, taking in a 360-degree vista of the city.
Melbourne Street-Art Tour
Melbourne has a world-renowned underground art scene, as can be seen in the inner-city network of laneways adorned by street art. Led by a local street artist, this three-hour walking tour immerses visitors in the stories of the laneways’ best artworks and the artists behind them. It’s an ever-changing route because of the ephemeral nature of the works. The tour culminates at the famous Blender Studios, an urban fine-art studio that has produced, and continues to produce, some of the most influential artists in Australia. The studio tour is accompanied by cheese, fruit, wine and beer. Meet at ACMI, Federation Square, Flinders Street.
Melbourne Café and Coffee Culture Walk
This walking tour steps off the beaten track and into the less-frequented laneways of the city. Explore their most unique and authentic cafés on this tasting tour, which in addition to world-class coffee includes chocolate, tea and a café-style lunch. But it’s also a tour that covers the city’s history and culture. There is as much to be learned about Melbourne by sitting in its cafés as there is by visiting its most famous sites, and this tour illustrates the reasons behind the city’s coffee scene. Meet outside The Hill of Content of Bookshop (one of Melbourne’s oldest bookstores) at 86 Bourke Street.
Melbourne Sports Lovers Tour
Melbourne is one of the world’s sporting capitals, and this tour takes guests behind the events that captivate sports lovers around the globe. Included in the tour is a trip to Flemington Racecourse, home to the Spring Racing Carnival and Melbourne Cup; the Albert Park F1 Grand Prix circuit; and a pub lunch at Marvel Stadium, which hosts Australian Rules Football and A-League soccer. The tour also offers the choice between three other venues: cricketing colosseum the MCG, the National Sports Museum or the Australian Open tennis facilities. For an extra cost, there’s also the option to have an hour’s play on the courts that have been used by so many tennis greats. The departure point is Russell Street Extension, but hotel pickup is also possible at selected hotels.
Highlights of Melbourne River Cruise
The Yarra River cuts through the heart of Melbourne, so sailing is a great way to take in the city. This audio-guided tour cruises past a number of iconic locations, including the Royal Botanical Gardens, Government House and a 19th-century sailing ship. In the summer months, bring some drinks and snacks and watch the city pass by from the boat’s sun deck. The departure point is Berth No 2, Southgate Arts and Leisure Precinct Landing, Lower Promenade, located at the rear of Langham Hotel in Southgate.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.