Byron Bay has long been a hub for holiday makers, backpackers and celebs. This little slice of beachside paradise offers a chance to enjoy the best of Australia’s coastline in a relaxed, alternative environment. The Aboriginal name for the area, Cavvanbah, translates to ‘meeting place’ and this sense of community has been at the heart of Byron’s hippy charm ever since.
Captain James Cook arrived at the bay in 1770 and renamed it after Royal Navy officer John Byron, grandfather of poet Lord Byron. The area was initially a port and a place of industry, and was only transformed into the alternative lifestyle spot it is today in the 1960s, when keen surfers flocked to its beaches.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Byron is known not only for it’s wistful bohemian atmosphere but also, as Australia’s most easterly point, for being the perfect place to spot the migrationary journey of Humpback whales passing by from May to November. And in the height of summer, when the whales are not breaching and splashing through the waves, you’ll also see dolphins playing in the surf.
The area has a strong surf culture, but there are plenty of other options for exploring the water. Sea kayaks are available for hire, and a guided tour shows you the best places for dolphin-watching in the bay. The Cape Bay Marine Park is home to the bottlenose dolphin, as well and sea turtles, and you can spend a morning gliding on the clear ocean waters spotting these marine creatures moving about happily in their natural environment.
For incredible views of the surrounding area, including Tallow Beach and Mount Warning Rainforest, Cape Byron Lighthouse is a must-visit. Sitting on a craggy slice of cliff that plummets into the Pacific Ocean, this lighthouse offers the perfect perspective to watch the sea gushing into the shoreline. The area is usually filled with joggers and hikers, and at daybreak is a popular spot to watch Australia’s spectacular sunrise from the peninsula.
Byron is the kind of place that inspires you to be healthy, with blissful day spas, aromatherapy massage retreats and locally grown organic produce. Alongside vegan and vegetarian restaurants, venues such as local favorite Byron Juice Bar, veggie burger stalls and street-side eateries are always buzzing.
Wedged in between street-food stalls are luxe, avant-garde homewares stores such as Hendrix and Harlow and Ha’veli of Byron. For a more affordable souvenir, visit one of Byron’s famous weekend markets, which attract backpackers and locals alike. Here you can find a variety of stalls selling wares as diverse as bunches of hand-picked flowers, handmade trinkets, mismatched retro dresses, printed cotton shawls and woven hats.
One of the best ways to get around Byron is to go for a ride on one of the hire bicycles, available in shades of cute peppermint or lilac. To explore the greater region, take an eco-river cruises along the Brunswick for a view at Lennox Head of one of the most incredible spans of ocean you’ll ever see.
An hour’s drive will get you into the heart of Nimbin, a fellow alternative-lifestyle haven. Don’t worry if you missed San Francisco in the ’60s, Nimbin and Byron Bay have the hippy vibe covered.
For information on how to make the most of your Byron journey, visit The Byron Bay Visitors Centre (recognizable by the little gatherings of people and dogs outside). When the sun sets, visit one of the area’s amazing bars or take a walk on the beach to savour the relaxed, blissful atmosphere.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.