Sydney is a wonderful place to take the kids, with numerous family-friendly things to do both in- and outdoors. Culture Trip’s curated list of activities will help you to have the most memorable trip Down Under.
When in Sydney, there are a number of iconic landmarks and destinations that need to be ticked off the list, such as the harbour bridge, Sydney Opera House, Darling Harbour and Bondi Beach. The best way to go about seeing them with your little ones is on an open-tour bus.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are also plenty of activities for the whole family to enjoy. A visit to the aquarium to see sharks, jellyfish and tropical fish; a ghost walking tour, in which you can learn about Australia’s convict history; and a visit to the Luna Amusement Park will provide hours of entertainment. Meanwhile, there’s loads to do outdoors too from bottlenose dolphin-watching at Nelson Bay to sandboarding on the sand dunes, which make for once-in-a-lifetime experiences to have together.
Discover the scenic North Coast region of Port Stephens on a full-day coach tour from Sydney. Visit a wildlife park to check out the critters, then hop on a boat in Nelson Bay to look for bottlenose dolphins. Hit the Stockton Bight Sand Dunes for a 4WD tour and a chance to try sandboarding. Spot wildlife including Australian favourites like koalas, kangaroos and Tasmanian devils, plus a dolphin-watching cruise and sand dune tour, you’ll dive into the natural world just outside urban Sydney.
Explore Sydney and Bondi Beach on this hop-on hop-off sightseeing tour, which takes you by double-decker bus to 34 stops around the city including Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Darling Harbour, Bondi Beach and more. Enjoy unobstructed views and recorded commentary on board. Simply hop off to walk around and sightsee in depth. Your ticket is valid for 24 or 48 hours, so you can experience Sydney and Bondi’s most noteworthy attractions, sights, and shopping and dining areas at your own pace.
Take on a discovery journey through SEA LIFE Sydney Aquarium’s themed zones including the Penguin Expedition. This world-first ride-through experience will transport explorers on a sensory journey through the sub-Antarctic to meet spectacular King and Gentoo penguins. Get face-to-fin with over 13,000 animals from 700 different species such as resident dugong Pig to learn all about his rescue story. Face your fears at Shark Valley and walk amongst jaw-some sharks! Make sure you join in with our interactive daily talks and activities.
Starting at a wildlife sanctuary with free ranging kangaroos, wallabies and emus in a natural bush setting on this wildlife reserve tour you can listen to a ranger lead koala talk, then enjoy a day of indulgence as you taste locally made chocolate, fudge, wine, cheese, gelato, olive oil, and beer. You will also visit two premium boutique vineyards for wine tasting, all in the comfort of an air-conditioned minibus, with your experienced and friendly guide. If you were to do one Hunter Valley tour, this is the one! The tour leaves Sydney at 7.40am, returning usually by 6pm at the original departure point.
The Official Home and Away Tour allows fans from all over the world to connect with their favourite show and experience the iconic outdoor locations featured in the hit TV program. On board, fans will be able to capture once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunities, while expert guides share their extensive Home and Away knowledge. Guests can re-live some of their favourite scenes from the series, while soaking up the Summer Bay lifestyle and enjoying the magnificent scenery along the coastal roads of Sydney’s Northern Beaches. The tour concludes at Manly Beach. We have four tour options for you to choose:Filming Very Likely: This tour gives you the highly likely opportunity to see filming in action.Meet and Greet: A meet and greet with a fan favourite who used to be on Home and Away.Surf Club VIP Access: On non-filming days, the tour includes VIP access to the the Surf Club and lunch.Reduced Rate: When filming is unlikely, however we promise a special day at Summer Bay.
The Walking With Wombats Tour will get you within feet of wild wombats and kangaroos, NSW’s best waterfalls, rain forest boardwalk, blowholes and vistas. Dine surrounded by wombats and kangaroos with an Aussie barbecue dinner.
Luna Park is Sydney’s favourite harbourside amusement park and is one of the most popular venues to visit on the Sydney Harbour shoreline. Easily accessible from the city centre, Luna Park offers hours of fun for all the family. Take the train or ferry, or even walk across the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.