Head from downtown to Georgetown and beyond to Texas Hill Country on this expert-led experience that unites past with present and sets you up in a jazz club turned hotel.
Today, Austin may be known as the BBQ capital of the world, a melting pot of live music and for wearing its “weird” badge proudly, but did you know that the state capital of Texas was once a riverside village called Waterloo? Even long-term Austinites delight in the layers of past and present that coalesce in the city’s culture. “I have lived in Austin for over 20 years, and I am still shot with joy as I drive down Barton Springs Road,” says Amanda Eyre Ward, an Austin-based author whose novel, The Jetsetters, was a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“I love the swampy smell of the greenbelt and the butter-yellow sun on the Southern live oak trees. I love Laguna Gloria – an Italianate villa turned art gallery on the shores of Lake Austin – and seeing the Contemporary Austin neon sign glow, watching the dome of the Texas State Capitol from the Driskill Hotel’s deck, and the James Turrell Skyspace at the University of Texas.”
To help you dive deeper into the rich history of this sprawling metropolis and its surroundings, we’ve found fascinating tours and fixed you up in a retro-chic hotel, all bookable right here on Culture Trip.
Where To Stay: The Hotel…
This hip-as-can-be downtown hotel is part of Austin’s musical history – it was once home to a jazz club that broadcast live on local radio in the late 1960s. It’s housed in a Mad Men-era Modernist building whose Brutalism contrasts with its bucolic setting, right off the leafy hiking and biking trail that surrounds Lady Bird Lake. From your perch on the water’s edge, you can launch yourself into Austin’s downtown sights and cultural centers, or tune into the modern-day music venues of South Congress Street. But there’s no particular need to hurry out, thanks to the prime views of Congress Bridge’s nightly bat spectacle from the rooftop cocktail bar – when Mexican free-tailed mammals swoop overhead – plus a Top Chef winner in the kitchen at Arlo Grey and a gallery’s worth of work by local up-and-coming artists lining the walls.
What To Do: The Experiences…
All levels of fitness are welcome on this guided 5K (3mi) run that takes you past downtown Austin’s historic sights and landmarks. With approximately one guide for every six runners, you can go at your own comfortable pace (or even walk) and listen as your guide tells the story of the city’s fascinating evolution from Old West frontier town to progressive tech capital through its architecture. You’ll pass the Texas Capitol building, the Governor’s Mansion, Congress Avenue’s “bat” bridge and the Paramount Theatre, as well as more modern markers.
This tour takes you on a road trip into Texas Hill Country to visit the Lyndon B. Johnson State Park, a cultural center designed to immerse you in the life story of the 36th president, from his childhood on a rural Texas ranch to the JetStar he flew in as Vice President. Next, you’ll have time to explore the wineries, breweries and antique stores of historic German settlement, Fredericksburg, and stop in the live-music hotspot of Luckenbach before heading back to Austin.
Travel half an hour north of downtown Austin to find Georgetown, a charming railroad town worthy of a weekend getaway. On this tour, you’ll walk around “the most beautiful town square in Texas,” and stop by artisan shops, award-winning wine rooms and adorable cafés. Your expert guide will regale you with the stories of the individuals and families who’ve shaped the town and the tales hiding behind the historic façades.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.