Austin may have a world-class music scene, but don’t rule out its passion for film. As the home of Robert Rodriguez’s Troublemaker Studios and South by Southwest, the city has a lot to offer cinephiles. There are also a number of theaters that host special movie nights and screen local and independent films.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Austin Film Society Cinema
Cinema, Movie Theater
One of the lesser-known projects in town, the Austin Film Society (AFS) is the result of Richard Linklater’s creative genius. Founded in 1985, AFS is the heartbeat of the city’s independent film industry, but it only recently opened its own dedicated art-house cinema, complete with a full bar and café. On its two screens, the society shows a wide selection of films, including repertory series, new restorations, documentaries, independents and premieres. Many of the films are also accompanied by introductions by the film directors and other special guests.
Violet Crown Cinema
Cinema, Movie Theater
An art-house theater devoted to showcasing independent, documentary, international and studio films, Violet Crown Cinema is locally owned and operated. There are four screens inside, making it a charming place to appreciate the art of filmmaking. Unlike most theaters, the Violet Crown is known for premiering many independent and international films in the city, which is perfect for those who like a little something different. For the best possible experience, the theater offers wireless headsets that carry the movie soundtrack at an adjustable volume according to the needs of the viewer. The cinema even has captioning devices that display subtitles in sync with the movie. This is a venue that does its utmost to tailor to all viewers.
Alamo Drafthouse Ritz
Head to the Ritz location on Sixth Street for themed movie nights, custom pre-show clips, fried pickles and draft beer. The Alamo Drafthouse may be the most established indie-movie powerhouse franchise in Texas. Founded in Austin, Alamo operates in the city, as well as Dallas-Fort Worth and several other locations around the state and the country. The original intention was to create a theater by fans, for fans. Indeed, Alamo enforces strict cinemagoing etiquette so that movie lovers can have a genuine, uninterrupted experience. The theater runs several events, like Quote-Along nights and Master Pancake sessions – where comedians mock an entire movie on the spot – and Weird Wednesdays, which show eclectic movies for $1 at midnight. With so many events, there’s no excuse not to visit.
Moviehouse and Eatery
Cinema, Movie Theater
Dinner and a show gets a whole new look at the Moviehouse & Eatery. Start your evening with a craft cocktail or a local brew in the lounge. Then, when you’re ready for the show, curl up in one of the plush leather recliners and wait for a waiter to appear and take your order. Try movie-theater classics like popcorn, or opt for a Texas twist with a perfectly seared steak. If you’re able, catch the first showing of the day – you’ll pay only $9.50 a ticket.
For more than 100 years, the Paramount Theatre has been one of the city’s most popular attractions, with Austinities heading to the Congress Avenue spot for a relaxed evening with friends. Originally a vaudeville and variety house, the Paramount Theatre is now a melting pot of film, comedy, drama, music and dance performances. This venue is the oldest surviving theater in Austin and has a special place in the hearts of locals. It also hosts many red-carpet film premieres, as well as local and touring acts. Everyone from jazz artists to spoken-word poets has played here, so peruse the listings and choose something exactly to your tastes. Cool off in the hotter months with the Paramount’s summertime double-feature series.
Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-In
Cinema, Movie Theater
This great drive-in shows both old and new movies, including indie films, art-house, children’s favorites and pop-culture hits. You can even purchase s’mores and roast them over the drive-in’s fire pit. Keep your eyes on Blue Starlite’s website for upcoming screenings, as they rotate weekly. It’s a small establishment and space is limited, so make sure to book ahead of time.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.