Want to stay in style around the historic part of this South Carolina city? Simply book your Charleston hotel with Culture Trip and you’re ready to roll.
The Citadel, also known as the Military College of South Carolina, has been a Charleston institution for close to two centuries. While most guides to Charleston focus on the French Quarter, the Historic District or King Street, we know you may have something different in mind – whether it’s game day or you’re visiting your cadet for the first time. Before you decide where to lay your head for the night, read on for our top hotels close to the Citadel, Charleston.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re looking to feel at home in Charleston, opt for one of the Quarters’ properties along Spring Street, where you can pick from renovated carriage houses, studios, row homes and new constructions. You’re in the heart of Cannonborough-Elliotborough, a historically residential neighborhood – and better yet, you’re easily within walking distance of the Citadel to the north, or the festivities on King Street to the east. You’ll also have plenty of places to eat along Spring Street, including Bon Banh Mi Southeast Asian Kitchen, with its build-your-own banh mi sandwiches, and Fuel Charleston, which serves pub grub with a Caribbean twist.
Live in luxury in one of the five king-size suites at this three-story, 1860s home in Cannonborough-Elliotborough – there are also two cottage suites next door. The adults-only inn is spacious, and rooms are plastered in fun, bright wallpapers and plenty of details painted in the Lowcountry’s classic haint blue. Some of the top meals in town, including the seafood at the Ordinary and wood-fired pizzas at Indaco, are all yours a five-minute walk away – and it’s a short drive to the Citadel.
On the edge of Charleston’s iconic Marion Square, Hotel Bennett is the perfect half-way point between the Citadel and the action in the French Quarter. The 179 guest rooms and suites are chock-full of amenities including deep-soaking tubs, marble-lined showers and built-in mini-libraries. With the King’s Club, you’ll also have access to an open bar, meals and quick bites throughout the day, as well as a personalized itinerary during your stay. Don’t miss the Charleston Farmers Market in the square below every Saturday, where you can pick up fresh produce, snacks and souvenirs.
On Marion Square, next to the Citadel Square Baptist Church, the Dewberry is a midcentury-modern-inspired hotel filled with light and luxury – think floor-to-ceiling windows, expansive mirrors above the bed and cast-iron tubs. Local touches lift the place throughout, from furniture upholstered with art by Charlestonian artists to spa treatments made from the area’s native dewberry plant. Get around town on the hotel’s complimentary 21-gear bicycles – ask the concierge team if you’re looking for a guided route – or take one of the house cars for a drive up to the Citadel.
You can’t get much closer to the Citadel than this: the Charleston Marriott is just a few minutes’ walk away, and a stone’s throw from Johnson Hagood Memorial Stadium. It also overlooks Brittlebank Park, which runs along Ashley River, and has plenty of parking options nearby. Grab breakfast a block away at BKeDSHoP, which fries up french-toast donuts, apple fritters and ham-and-cheese-topped pretzels, while brewing the creamiest cinnamon-bun iced coffee in town. To see the rest of town, just hop on one of Charleston’s main highways – several converge close to the hotel.
Get ready to explore the whole of King Street – one of Charleston’s main drags – from the Hyatt House, with its gentlemanly monochrome rooms and suites. Try all the stops along the way – from the Parisian-style tapas at Felix Cocktails et Cuisine to the jazz-inspired drinks at Prohibition – or whip something up back in the room, which comes with a fully equipped kitchen. Fill out a request form and the fridge will come fully stocked, too. The Citadel is just a seven-minute drive away, and back on King Street, you can park at the city garage next to the hotel.
Tucked a block away from Upper King Street, this recently built hotel draws inspiration from its centuries-old colonial neighbors. The lobby features expanses of exposed red brick and a freestanding fireplace, while rooms – all fully equipped suites – are resplendent with textured wallpaper, Moravian-star light fixtures and patterned curtains. Don’t miss the pool and patio area out back, or explore nearby – the Charleston Museum is a five-minute walk away, while East Side Soul Food, just three blocks over, will steal your heart with its fried chicken, barbecue ribs and okra soup.
Looking for somewhere different to stay? Book into one of the best hotels near Charleston City Market or one of the best hotels downtown now with Culture Trip. Check out the top things to do in the historic district, or, if you have more time in the city, plan to go on one of the best day trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.