New York City is home to a number of legendary jazz clubs and lounges that have seen the likes of Duke Ellington, Miles Davis and Charlie Parker revolutionize the genre. While these icons may no longer be with us, the clubs they once graced are still located all over the city. Join us as we explore the intimate settings, the electrifying performances, and the timeless attraction of these venues that have witnessed the evolution of jazz across eras.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Pay tribute to Les Paul at The Iridium
Located in the center of Times Square, The Iridium was once frequented by legendary guitar pioneer Les Paul, who played the club weekly. While the man is gone, his spirit lives on with regular tributes. Today, rock, jazz and blues fans hit up this historic locale to enjoy music – and food – of the highest quality.
Take a trip to the famed Blue Note Jazz Club
Since opening in the 1980s, the Blue Note has grown into one of the world’s best venues for live jazz, and now has clubs in cities including Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo, Beijing and Milan. In its heyday, the club attracted icons such as Dizzy Gillespie, Sarah Vaughan and Oscar Peterson, so it’s held in high esteem by jazz fans. Today’s main acts include Chick Corea, McCoy Tyner, Joe Lovano, John Scofield and Chris Botti.
Recapture the spirit of the Beat Generation at the Village Vanguard
Jack Kerouac’s beatnik style has been embraced by grottoes and coffee shops across the United States, from Greenwich Village to San Francisco. The Village Vanguard, however, was at the center of the movement, with Kerouac himself having performed poetry at the club. Visitors can recapture the spirit of the Beat Generation by checking out live music from the likes of the Chris Potter Quartet, the Fred Hersch Trio and Donny McCaslin. Those looking for something extra special should head to the club on a Monday night to see the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra, who have performed in the same slot since 1966.
Fancy phenomenal live music with views over Central Park? Head to Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Dizzy’s Club
Patrons at Dizzy’s Club can enjoy phenomenal jazz sets and Southern-inspired food while taking in incredible views of New York City. The venue, which is situated on the fifth floor of the Columbus Circle’s Time Warner Center, is part of Jazz at Lincoln Center – a non-profit venture launched by Grammy Award-winning trumpeter Wynton Marsalis. The building also houses two larger performance venues: The Appel Room and Rose Theater.
Soak up Harlem’s cultural history at Bill’s Place
To truly get the feel of the Harlem Renaissance, hit up Bill’s Place. This speakeasy is in the heart of Harlem and was opened by musician Bill Saxton in 2006. Located on the bottom floor of a brownstone that traces its roots back to the Prohibition era, Bill’s Place is a snug, elbow-touching space and the perfect venue to watch world-class jazz.
Take flight with Charlie Parker at Birdland Jazz Club
While locations have changed over the years, there’s no doubting Birdland’s place in jazz history: Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis and John Coltrane have all performed at the club. Named after Charlie ‘Yardbird’ Parker, another icon of the genre, Birdland transports visitors back to jazz’s golden age with its classically cool decor and vibe. Birdland calls itself the “jazz corner of the world,” and by all estimations, they are not exaggerating. The venue is home to popular events including the annual Django Reinhart NY Festival as well as the Umbria Jazz Festival in NYC.
Make your way down to Smalls Jazz Club’s basement
Founded in 1994 by Mitchell Borden, a former Navy submariner, registered nurse, philosopher and violinist, Smalls Jazz Club was designed to create an environment conducive to jazz music and its culture. The original club had its humble beginnings in a basement space with no liquor license. For $10, revelers could bring their own alcohol and stay as long as they liked. Since 2007, every show at Smalls has been recorded (with video starting in 2011), catalogued and archived. If patrons can’t make it to the club – which has a $20 cover charge for the entire evening from Sunday through Thursday – they can sign up to be members of SmallsLIVE to watch all live streams free of charge.
First-class food and music are on the menu at Red Rooster
Red Rooster has quickly become the hottest restaurant in Harlem. Boasting world-class soul food from chef Marcus Samuelsson as well as high-quality live music, Red Rooster embodies the definition of dinner and a show. Whether you’re interested in the free gigs at the bar or events like gospel brunch at the downstairs Ginny’s Supper Club, Red Rooster always has something to offer.
Michael LoRé contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.