SoHo, in Lower Manhattan, may be home to some of the most expensive real estate in the United States, but that shouldn’t put you off visiting. Instead, cut your costs by staying at one of these budget-friendly hotels.
The cobbled streets of SoHo are home to two cities; during the day, it’s all street vendors, artists and boutique shops, but at night you’ll find the hottest restaurants, bars and clubs in New York City. If you’re on a budget, you might want to swerve the pricier boutiques – although window shopping doesn’t cost a thing – for some wallet-friendly excursions such as the Leslie-Lohman Museum and Film Forum, while staying in these excellent (but more cost-effective) accommodations.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Found deep in Lower Manhattan, the Arlo SoHo is an excellent base for discovering everything NYC has to offer. Each of the 300-plus rooms comes expertly furnished in whites and dark woods, the king with a full wraparound alcove and the terraced queen with some of the only outdoor showers in the city. All have an array of creature comforts as standard, including blackout curtains, rain showers and floor-to-ceiling windows.
One of the true highlights of the Sheraton is the rooftop lounge, where comped light beers are served in the evenings accompanied by a cityscape including the Empire State Building and the Hudson River. Additionally, all rooms come with plenty of 21st-century amenities, such as HD TVs, super-fast internet and a large work space with an ergonomic chair – perfect for business travelers. A location within a stone’s throw of the lively neighborhoods of SoHo, Chinatown and Little Italy top it off.
Part of the more budget-friendly Courtyard collection from Marriott, this modern hotel is parked around a 10-minute walk from the cobblestone streets of SoHo. Suites feature pillow-top mattresses, full soundproofing and complimentary cable channels, for a true sanctuary from the busy streets below. Be sure to check out Table 181, the in-house eatery serving fresh pastries and Starbucks coffees.
Located in the energetic Tribeca neighborhood, around a 10-minute walk from SoHo, the Walker offers guests a contemporary boutique experience. Each of the 171 rooms and suites is sensibly styled with a cozy yet clean atmosphere and includes several welcome features, such as double-height windows, marbled bathrooms and CO Bigelow toiletries. For a truly memorable stay, try the Broadway Corner Queen, one of the premium suites that offers guests fantastic views over the shops of Lower Broadway.
In the middle of SoHo and Downtown NYC, the Four Points is an inviting option for guests looking for a little luxury without the mega price tag. Rooms come with signature bedding and tempting toiletries plus thoughtful additions, such as daily housekeeping, super-fast free wifi and complimentary bottled water delivered daily to your room. A top choice for events, there are dedicated meeting rooms, plus a huge outdoor terrace perfect for socializing in the summer months.
With animated interiors and restful rooms, it’s easy to see why citizenM has become such a popular choice. Going above and beyond, it has some great perks, including free movie rental and XL king-sized beds in every room, plus a MoodPad that will allow you to control the lights, blinds and temperature from your bed. If you’re looking for a quick bite before hitting the streets or a midnight snack after a long day sightseeing, the hotel has a 24/7 canteen.
Placing an onus on quality over quantity, there are just 30 guest rooms at the Mimosa, each styled with a mid-century aesthetic but featuring plenty of personal touches, such as luxury linens, HD flat-screen cable TVs and daily housekeeping. Save your dollars by stocking up on the complimentary espresso, teas and snacks at the front desk, while making your daily plans using the free wifi. If the latter seems like too much effort, quiz the knowledgeable staff on where to eat, drink and visit.
A block from the Canal Street Subway station, right on the SoHo border, the Hilton Garden Inn offers a sensible and sophisticated stay. Suited to business travelers, it has a small gym with cardio machines and free weights, unfussy rooms and a stylish sports bar serving wood-fired pizzas and 20 beers on tap. If you’re heading out to explore the area, pop into the Pavilion Pantry where you can purchase grab-and-go snacks.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.