In an act of practical magnanimity, museums in LA, Amsterdam, London, New York and elsewhere have closed up shop amid COVID-19 health concerns. While you can’t visit in person, many are offering virtual tours. Here’s where to explore in insolation.
The hashtag #MuseumFromHome is trending on Twitter in reaction to Google Arts & Culture – where visitors can view high-resolution images of artworks in museums – releasing a list of 10 Top Museums You Can Explore Right Here, Right Now. The site has teamed up with more than 2,500 museums and galleries, including the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, The J Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles, London’s Tate Britain and New York’s Museum of Modern Art, among other venerable institutions, to provide online access for those who may be unable to leave their homes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
And this is great news, as studies have shown that just looking at art can offer health benefits, from lowering anxiety and helping with depression to boosting critical-thinking skills. Each museum offers different online programming. Some, such as Amsterdam’s Van Gogh Museum, use Google’s Street View to allow you to pan around the halls, while others give in-depth looks at their most famous works, a feature that makes you feel like a learned docent is guiding your tour. Below are some of the highlights.
Museum of Modern Art, New York
Manhattan’s MoMA is presenting an online exhibit about Swiss avant-garde artist Sophie Taeuber-Arp, with an interactive slide show that takes you through her catalogue of marionettes, sculptures and paintings. Its page also features 129 other items from the museum’s holding, including high-quality scans of Vincent van Gogh’s ‘The Starry Night’ and Henri Rousseau’s ‘The Dream’.
Uffizi Gallery, Florence
Across 80 galleries, this national museum displays 800 years of the Netherlands’ best art, including a strong selection of works from the Dutch Golden Age. Highlights, such as Vermeer’s ‘The Milkmaid’ (c. 1657), are annotated online, and you can peruse paintings by Rembrandt in the Great Hall, including the museum’s best-known piece, ‘The Night Watch’ (1642).
National Gallery, London
Compared to most national European galleries, London’s is small. It only has 2,300 paintings, but the scope of its collection spans from the mid-13th century to 1900 and covers many world-renowned works. One such example, Hans Holbein the Younger’s ‘The Ambassadors’, is filled with rich textual meaning that the online resource delves into. There’s an online exhibit of Monet’s Rouen painting series, virtual touring and 183 works to view.
Los Angeles County Museum of Art, LA
LACMA is the largest art museum in western USA, with a sprawling collection of more than 150,000 works from all genres, periods and locations. Its international offerings are featured online, with galleries focused on Japan, France, Iran and Egypt. The online exhibit Reigning Men: Fashion in Menswear, 1715–2015 features 300 years of high fashion, while the 19,824 items available on the web range from sculptures to photographs.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.