Halfway up Central Park on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, you’ll find the renowned American Museum of Natural History in New York City. Whether you’re traveling with kids or just eager to discover more about the universe, here are the best places to stay nearby.
The American Museum of Natural History is one of the city’s most recognizable cultural institutions. You might remember it from blockbusters including Night at the Museum and Men in Black II. Inside, prehistoric fossils sit alongside dinosaur skeletons and an impressive 94-foot (29-meter) model of a blue whale suspended from the ceiling. Its Upper West Side location also puts it close to Central Park and many popular restaurants, cafes and bars in New York. Need suggestions for a hotel? We’ve got you covered – and they’re bookable through Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This Theater District hotel offers an unbeatable location if you plan to take in a few Broadway shows during your spell in the Big Apple. The decor follows a chic, retro aesthetic, with bright pops of color, bold geometric prints and vibrant artwork strung throughout the space. Rooms are ultra-modern, featuring stainless steel furnishings, upholstered headboards and woven carpeting. You’ll also have access to the round-the-clock fitness center at the nearby Ameritania at Times Square Hotel.
Blending old-world sophistication with contemporary touches, this timeless hotel at Columbus Circle is one of the top five-star accommodations in the city. The spacious rooms feature views of either the Hudson River, Central Park or Manhattan skyline, and are outfitted with expansive windows and seriously stylish furnishings. Pamper yourself with an indulgent treatment at the on-site spa, take a languorous dip in the indoor pool or practice yoga at the fitness center. The American Museum of Natural History is just two subway stops away on the C line.
With its stately, stylish suites, this Upper East Side hotel is ideal for those who want to splurge a little on their stay. Each enormous suite has a generous living area, king-sized bed and plenty of comfy reading nooks. The Central Park suite also comes with floor-to-ceiling windows offering panoramic views over the urban greenery. For dinner, tuck into American-European dishes at the elegant Carlyle Restaurant, before ending your evening with martinis at Bemelmans Bar.
This centrally located hotel is a quick stroll from Central Park, providing a picturesque route to the museum. Carnegie Hall, Fifth Avenue and the Museum of Modern Art are also nearby. Inside the hotel, take your pick from a range of welcoming rooms and suites, all of which come with custom-wood furnishings and large beds topped with Frette luxury linens. Need to unwind after a long day of exploring? Kick back at the rooftop bar, which specializes in drinks made with small-batch spirits.
Like your hotels with a vintage vibe? This restored heritage stay is perfect for you. The century-old building retains a number of its original touches, including a quaint 1920s French elevator system and antique vintage fireplace. Rooms are styled like a New York loft, complete with exposed brick walls, plus some have private balconies. Stop by the speakeasy-themed Arthouse Bar for live music and a deliciously sour negroni or two.
You won’t find many hotels with cooking facilities in New York, but Hotel Beacon’s guest rooms come with rare kitchenettes. Alongside this, you’ll find plush beds, marble bathrooms and separate living areas. Pick up your groceries from nearby Trader Joe’s, or order pad thai from Sala Thai round the corner if you can’t be bothered to cook. You’ll still be treated to hotel amenities here, including a fitness center and cocktail lounge. The museum is an easy 10-minute walk away.
Step back in time at this art deco hotel on the edge of Central Park, classified as a New York Historical Hotel since 1931. You can easily spot the original Essex House sign from blocks away. Inside, expect glittering chandeliers, velvet furnishings and gilded ceilings. Families will appreciate the interconnecting rooms – upgrade to a luxury suite for unparalleled vistas over Manhattan. Drop into the spa for a facial or massage before dinner at Southgate Bar & Restaurant, which offers a menu of classic American fare.
The guest rooms at this Upper West Side jewel follow a stylish aesthetic with plenty of retro touches – think geometric flooring and zebra-print cushions. The oh-so-glamorous Empire Lobby Bar is a must-visit, especially for fans of the TV series Gossip Girl – among the decadent cocktail options is a drink named after the character Chuck Bass. There’s also a breezy rooftop terrace that offers a full food menu alongside picture-perfect city views.
Looking for more inspiration? With help from local insiders we’ve narrowed down the coolest hotels in New York City for a once-in-a-lifetime experience, as well as the best cheap hotels in Manhattan for a more affordable option. Best of all, you can book right here on Culture Trip. For exploring, we’ve curated a New York food experience and a wellness tour of New York, each complete with local tips and can’t-be-missed experiences. We know that will all keep you very busy, so here are the best restaurants for lunch in New York City where you can grab a bite on the go.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.