In New York, cupcakes are long gone and doughnuts are here to stay. The city is home to a number of vastly different doughnut shops. From old-fashioned to artisanal, these 10 New York shops are expanding the definition of doughnut.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Brooklyn favorite Dough has long attracted doughnut lovers, but the bakery gained an even bigger fan base when it opened a shop in Manhattan last October. Dough specializes in giant, soft yeast doughnuts painted with glaze. Flavors like passion fruit, hibiscus and tropical chili draw customers to the establishment in hordes. Dough’s glazes are nicely balanced, flavoring the doughnuts without overpowering them. The chocolate salted caramel flavor is a particular favorite, with stark hints of salt in every bite.
Doughnut Plant offers chewy yeast doughnuts, rich cake doughnuts, and luxurious little ‘doughseeds’ – miniature filled doughnuts. The bakery excels at creating holiday-themed doughnuts, garnished with roses for Valentine’s Day and shamrocks for Saint Patrick’s Day. They recently introduced poppy seed hamantashen doughseeds for Purim and pecan praline beignets for Mardi Gras. The much lauded Tres Leches doughnut, a glazed cake doughnut with pockets of sweet cream, is worthy of praise and perhaps even worship. Doughnut Plant has three locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Doughnut Plant doughnuts are also sold in shops around the city.
Peter Pan Donut and Pastry Shop
Locals love Peter Pan Donut and Pastry Shop for its old-fashioned ambiance and old-fashioned prices. The bakery offers a well-rounded variety of flavors, including red velvet, toasted coconut and blueberry buttermilk, but cream- and jelly-filled doughnuts stand out. Tina Fey even declared her love for Peter Pan’s powdered, cream-filled doughnut in an interview with Esquire.
The Doughnuttery serves up charm in a brown paper bag. The shop, which is tucked into a corner of Chelsea Market, serves tiny doughnuts coated in flavored sugars. Customers can watch as the miniature doughnuts are flipped and fried using a small machine. Employees toss the doughnuts in sugar to order. Flavors are subtle but intriguing. ‘Purple Pig’ features maple, purple potatoes and bacon, while ‘PB&J’ consists of peanut butter and grape candy.
Located inside a car wash in Hell’s Kitchen, this doughnut shop offers sugared and glazed cake doughnuts. The bakery first attracted attention for its halva doughnut, an unusual take on the Middle Eastern dessert. The buttery, sweet doughnuts are all good but the sugared doughnuts, which come in flavors like coco raspberry and espresso bean, are particularly worth a try.
Dun-Well Doughnuts is New York’s source for organic vegan doughnuts. With a menu of more than 200 rotating flavors including standouts like pink lemonade, peanut butter and jelly and green tea and ginger, Dun-Well Doughnuts delivers on the promise implicit in its name. The store also has a carefully tailored vintage ambiance. Employees wear plaid and bow ties, while doughnuts are served on wooden slabs alongside egg creams and Italian sodas.
The Donat Pub
With 1950s-style bar stools, neon signs and white tile walls, The Donut Pub is less of a pub and more of a diner. The Chelsea bakery is open 24/7, serving fresh doughnuts, muffins, bagels and sandwiches around the clock. The shop has a large selection of flavors, including honey-dipped, an old-fashioned customer favorite. Cake doughnuts are light and not overly sweet – the red velvet and blueberry doughnuts are especially good.
This family-run shop in Bay Ridge sells fresh, simple doughnuts at bargain prices. The small storefront offers a small selection of classic but well-executed doughnut varieties that are made each day. Try the apple flavor, which is filled with apple slices, or any jelly variety. With doughnuts like these, the Dunkin’ Donuts across the street doesn’t stand a chance.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.