Brooklyn’s popular neighborhood of Bushwick is filled with hip artist-run coffee shops and clubs that make a detour from Manhattan a must. Here’s how to best spend 24 hours in this edgy area of New York City.
Bushwick, Brooklyn, has a reputation for being a “hip” neighborhood. Musicians and artists flocked here after Williamsburg got priced out, and it became the next nabe with (relatively) cheap rent. As a result, there are plenty of coffee shops, bars and nightlife options to add something different to the usual trip to New York (and it’s all only about 20 minutes outside Manhattan on the subway). Skip the graffiti tour and enjoy a perfect day in Bushwick the way one of its residents would.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re coming from the city, the subway is the easiest way to get to Brooklyn. Once you’re over the bridge, check out Tina’s Place for a hearty breakfast in a comforting diner setting. Its no-frills menu is cheap (get here before 11am for free coffee), and its wood-paneled walls and countertop seating give it a real throwback vibe that HBO’s The Deuce loved enough to use as a featured location on the show.
From here, it’s an easy walk to Maria Hernandez Park, a 7-acre (3ha) community space. Grab a bench and take in some sun or view the action from the adjoining dog park. There’s plenty of grass should you want to relax, and basketball courts if you would like to join a pick-up game.
Just down the block from the park’s southern entrance is Molasses Books, a coffee shop-bar that doubles as a used bookstore. Get lost in a story while you sip a latte, but know that seating is limited. The small space is cozy and encourages communal small-talk once laptop use is cut off at 8pm, and the ambiance livens up. Baristas – most of whom are artists themselves – spin records, and the events schedule reflects the neighborhood’s diversity.
On the corner of Knickerbocker is Tony’s. For more than 40 years, this pizza joint has served a reliably great slice – the spinach and artichoke is a standout cut. Nearby, L Train Vintage has two floors of used clothing at great prices. There’s a wide variety of shirts, jackets, pants and accessories that will keep you busy searching for a unique fit.
Bushwick is an antidote to the expensive Lower East Side, so instead of going to a fancy restaurant for dinner, save some money and hit up Regalo De Juquila, a local favorite. The best Mexican food in the neighborhood – and possibly the borough – is made in a hole-in-the-wall bodega that’s open until 4am. The burritos are hearty, and if you eat in, you get chips and salsa before the meal.
Next door are two Bushwick stalwarts, the bars Happyfun Hideaway and Birdy’s. Happyfun is a neon-lit tiki-themed gay bar with tropical drinks and a sprawling backyard, while Birdy’s is a punk-rock-themed throwback with pinball machines and Sonic Youth on the PA. If you go with Birdy’s, don’t miss the frozen whiskey sour, but there’s no reason you shouldn’t just go to both bars.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.