There are many reasons to visit New York City‘s Upper West Side, from historic spots like Central Park and the Lincoln Center to the speakeasy-style bars. To make your stay even more special, here’s our guide to the best hotels on the Upper West Side, bookable on Culture Trip.
Encompassing the edge of Central Park, with numerous brownstone building-lined streets and many celebrity residents, the Upper West Side has always been one of Manhattan’s most-loved neighborhoods. Its leafy streets have been the backdrop to more than its fair share of movies and TV shows, while locals flock to the area’s amazing restaurants (the Upper West Side is also home to Levain Bakery, famous for its huge, gooey cookies). Stay around the corner from stars including Bono and Tina Fey at one of the neighborhood’s best hotels.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Hotel Beacon owes its name to its rooftop’s original airway beacon, a relic of flight’s early history in America. Today, the 90-year-old hotel on the Upper West Side provides guests with copies of The New York Times and residential-style rooms equipped with kitchenettes, marble bathrooms and flat-screen TVs. Stay in a private suite for the luxury of having your own separate living room and perhaps even a furnished terrace if you really want to splurge. Alternatively, settle for the terrace of the chic in-house bar.
Old-school hospitality may be the 115-year-old Lucerne Hotel’s most distinguishing feature. Not only will you be offered a private airport transfer and a daily complimentary wine reception, but there’s also a personal concierge service that aims to facilitate your every need – from ticket reservations to beauty appointments. The building may be old, but the rooms are anything but, with smart TVs, designer toiletries and speedy wifi among the standard amenities on offer. There’s also a fitness center and spa for relaxing tired limbs – plus a sleek on-site restaurant serving up French-Mediterranean fare every evening.
The bright, modernist rooms at Arthouse aim to emulate the chic and space-conscious living of traditional NYC lofts. Rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows with fabulous views over the city, and the minimalist interiors are punctuated with deep-blue curtains. Upgrade to a terrace room and get your own outdoor space with patio furnishings – perfect for a private cocktail before heading out to discover the city that never sleeps. There is more than enough to keep you entertained in-house, however, with rotating art exhibitions featuring greats such as Andy Warhol and Jean-Michel Basquiat, and live music in the hotel’s wine bar (with a cracking wine list to boot).
Situated on the edge of the lower end of Central Park, 6 Columbus sits in a quintessential location and is one of the top hotels in New York. To continue this theme, opt for one of the hotel’s incredible suites, all of which come with spectacular views – some over the park itself, others over the city’s buildings. The Loft Suite, meanwhile, comes with wraparound glass walls, offering literal 360-degree views. Regardless of what room you go for, they are all tastefully understated with 1960s-oriented design and in-room art by Guy Bourdin. Head to the rooftop bar for cocktails (and even more views) before heading to in-house Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar and Grill for upscale sushi in Zen-like surrounds.
Elvis. James Dean. The Beatles. Need we list any other guests of the historic Warwick New York? Book any of their signature suites and discover that posh is preferred at this swanky Midtown Manhattan hotel (just a 10-minute walk from Columbus Circle). The Modern Art Suite is adorned with vibrant artworks, more of which you can practically see from your terrace overlooking MoMA, while the 1,200sqft (110sqm) Suite of the Stars lets you host your own exclusive afterparty.
Looking for more plush hotels in New York? Check out our pick of the best hotels with suites in Manhattan, bookable with Culture Trip
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.