Many people know Queens only as the place their plane lands when they arrive in New York, as LaGuardia and JFK are both located in the borough. Why not broaden your horizon beyond Manhattan by choosing to base your vacation at one of the best hotels in Queens? These boutique and budget hotels will add more character to your stay than an airport hotel ever could.
Stay close to Manhattan without the Manhattan prices. Immediately recognizable by its black-and-green geometric exterior, the Vue Hotel offers modern boutique accommodation in Long Island City. Rooms are comfortable and feature premium bedding, coffee makers, refrigerators, free wifi and flat-screen TVs. Business travelers will appreciate the business center fully equipped with computers and fax machines. With the F subway line right on your doorstep, it will be hard to choose whether to head into Manhattan or explore local neighborhood treasures such as the MoMa PS1, the Museum of the Moving Image or Queensbridge Park.
Heavy bronze drapes, dark-cherry carpets and wood furnishings lend a simple elegance to the spacious rooms at John Hotel. Located in Flushing, Queens, you’ll be well placed here to explore the vibrant local area, make your way to Manhattan or even get to the airport – it’s extremely easy to get to both LaGuardia and JFK. We recommend checking out the Queens Botanical Garden and Flushing Meadows–Corona Park while you’re in the area.
Geometric patterned carpets and bright accent walls are standard fixtures in the colorful, quirky rooms at Nesva Hotel. Notable amenities include flat-screen TVs with HBO and Showtime, ecofriendly bath amenities, a complimentary continental breakfast, luxurious non-allergenic cotton bedding and a gourmet minibar. Located in Long Island City, you’ll also be well placed here to reach both LaGuardia and JFK Airport, as well as Midtown Manhattan – hail a cab and you will be there in less than 10 minutes.
Set in multicultural Flushing, Queens, Marco LaGuardia Hotel puts you in a vibrant and bustling location from which to explore New York City. Getting here is easy, too, as the hotel offers a complimentary airport shuttle to LaGuardia airport from 5am to midnight every day. If you’re driving, on-site parking is available for an extra fee. The cream-toned rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the complimentary hot breakfast buffet is the perfect way to start your day.
For the perfect blend of simplicity and comfort, book a stay at the Feather Factory Hotel, one of the best cheap hotels in Queens. Green accent walls provide a distinctive design touch, while the amenities on offer include everything you need for a convenient stay, such as free toiletries, cable TV, wifi and luggage storage. On-site vending machines will ensure you never lack for a snack if you’re feeling peckish. Head to the rooftop terrace after dark for dazzling skyline views.
Modern furnishings, wooden accents and a great location come as standard at this top Queens hotel. Skyline views of Manhattan are guaranteed, and proximity to subway lines F, N and W makes it easy to reach the other boroughs of New York City. The business center will allow you to keep on top of work, while the on-site gym has everything you need for a quick workout. Place your bags in luggage storage before you go, and be sure to make time for nearby attractions such as Arthur Ashe Stadium.
Straddling the border of Astoria and Long Island City, this quirky Queens hotel is named for the paper factory that once stood on the property. The hotel honors this history with its vintage industrial decor, featuring antique tufted velvet and distressed leather furniture throughout, huge casement windows, cinder block walls and recycled wood furnishings.
With of its location on Vernon Boulevard, right before the East River, Ravel Hotel offers amazing views of the Manhattan skyline and the Queensboro Bridge. There are two dining options on-site: Penthouse 808 and Ravel Garden Grill, both on rooftops or terraces that feature more of the gorgeous views you came for. Rooms are spacious, with hardwood floors and natural fibers; some suites are furnished with cowhide rugs and shaggy, long-haired throws. The hotel offers a shuttle service to and from the nearest subway stop, so travel in and out of Manhattan is a breeze.
Incorporating design elements that pay tribute to the industrial past of the neighborhood, rooms at the Boro Hotel are accented with cement pillars, tin ceilings and naked light bulbs. Located near three major subway lines, it is an excellent base for all your NYC travels. Snack on some delicious thin-crust pizza at Beebe’s off the lobby on the ground floor, or take a cocktail up to the roof deck to soak up some rays or snap a few pics of the skyline.
The Local is technically a hostel, but that doesn’t mean guests have to shack up dorm-style. Private ensuite rooms are available for budget-conscious travelers looking for a clean, fun and attractive place to stay in New York City at a steal of a price. The vibe at the Local is social and artsy; the bar and lounge routinely host literary readings amid locally curated artwork. Guests have access to the rooftop and laundry room, which helps to make extended stays a lot less stressful.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Christine Kandic Torres.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Still searching for a quality hotel in Queens, New York? Check out the Culture Trip guide to the best budget-friendly places to stay in this vibrant corner of the Big Apple.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.