Recipients of sought-after honors, hosts of globally-known sporting events, and the creations of legendary golf architects: it’s easy to see why these courses boast some of the state’s most coveted tee times. For a round that’s as charming as it is challenging, visit the 15 most beautiful golf courses in New York State.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Shinnecock Hills Golf Club
For three centuries, Shinnecock Hills Golf Club has played host to the sport’s premier event, the USGA’s U.S. Open. Considered to be one of the oldest links in North America, the architecture here has remained largely unaltered for nearly 50 years. With renowned architects like C.B. Macdonald and William S. Flynn behind the course’s design, it’s easy to understand how Shinnecock Hills Golf Club has attracted generations of golfers.
Friar’s Head Golf Club
Comprising sand dunes, farmland, and meadows, Friar’s Head Golf Club is an ideal destination for outdoorsy athletes. The rugged course, designed by architects Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw, features holes in sand dunes at 200 feet above the Long Island Sound, as well as in low-lying potato fields. A relatively young course, Friar’s Head has consistently crept higher in rankings of the best courses in North America.
Winged Foot Golf Club (East)
Surveying Winged Foot Golf Club’s East course, it’s hard to believe the course served as a parking lot during recent U.S. Opens. One half of a two-course complex, Winged Foot East shares the same features as its more famous counterpart while also offering scarcely-seen-today ‘corner-pocket’ hole locations.
Hiland Park Country Club
Exploring Hiland Park Country Club, it’s easy to understand why the space is a popular pick for special events. The 18-hole course here boasts 6,732 yards of golf, a course rating of 72.8, and a staggering slope rating of 130. Impressive as these stats are, none can compete with the course’s best feature: its stunning panoramic views of the Southern Adirondack Mountain Range.
Bethpage State Park G.C. (Black)
The host of multiple U.S. Opens and Barclays, as well as the future site of the 2019 PGA Championship and 2024 Ryder Cup, Bethpage State Park’s Black course has achieved fame in the global sports world. Of the park’s five 18-hole regulation courses, on which 300,000 rounds of golf are played annually, Bethpage Black boasts the most celebrated— and coveted— tee times.
Hudson National Golf Club
The best part of any round on the Hudson National Golf Club is the course itself. Situated atop stunning cliffs over the Hudson River Valley, the course features a rugged terrain comprising over 130,000 cubic feet of rock, feathery fescue, and an unobscured view of miles of New York’s Hudson River.
History buffs shouldn’t miss Quaker Ridge, a century-old golf course with a rich past. While Quaker Ridge was first born as a modest 9-hole layout in 1915, its history is anything but modest. Founding father George Washington is rumored to have walked the grounds where Quaker Ridge’s 10th hole now lies, while famous composer George Gershwin was a member during his lifetime. Today, the historic course boasts 20 holes and a cult-following of in-the-know athletes.
For a unique experience, book a tee time at Maidstone Club, one of the United States’ earliest golf residential communities. Since 1891, golfers have patronized this place, where holes intersect with streets and roads for rounds that are as challenging as they are charming.
Fishers Island Club
With its views of the New England shoreline and its Cape Cod-inspired architecture, Fishers Island Club makes every game feel like a getaway. In addition to its stellar 18 holes, this links-style golf course features panoramas of the Atlantic Ocean, Long Island Sound, and more.
Sleepy Hollow Country Club
Thanks to contributions by legendary course designers Charles Blair Macdonald, A.W. Tillinghast, and Seth Raynor, the course at Sleepy Hollow Country Club is anything but sleepy. The 27-hole course and former host of Champion’s Tour ‘Commemorative’ from 1986 to 1993, as well as the 2002 U.S. Women’s Amateur Championship, boasts waterfront views, abundant greenery, and a 1,700-square foot temperature-controlled golf learning center.
Pound Ridge Golf Club
Located mere minutes outside of New York City, Pound Ridge Golf Club provides players with the best of two worlds. Experience a natural oasis complete with over 170 acres of rock walls, wooded hills, and streams just north of the bustling Big Apple. Only at Pound Ridge can visitors explore a world-famous destination city in between rounds— if they can tear themselves from the scenery, that is.
Leatherstocking Golf Course
At Leatherstocking Golf Course, nature is the greatest challenger a player will meet. This 18-hole championship course emphasizes its natural environment, featuring contour terrain complete with a cornucopia of challenging hills. Tip: forgo a cart in favor of a walking workout— the course’s scenery, including its views of Ostego Lake, are best explored on foot.
The Sagamore Golf Course
Golf fanatics flock to The Sagamore Golf Course, a championship course endorsed by Golf Magazine, Golf Digest, and more. The Sagamore’s breathtaking views of Lake George and rich fairways are some of the most beautiful sights a golfer can ask for. The course’s award-winning Pro Shop is also an attraction.
Atunyote at Turning Stone Casino
The recipient of some 20 coveted honors — including host to multiple PGA tournaments and sport leaders like Tiger Woods and Matt Kuchar — Atunyote boasts some of the sport’s most sought-after tee times. In keeping with its name (the Oneida word for eagle), this course features 7,315 yards of wide-open spaces and commanding natural scenery.
Seneca Hickory Stick
It should come as no surprise that a course located mere minutes from Niagara Falls boasts some beautiful sights of its own. Rare Shellbark Hickory trees, idyllic lakes and ponds, and native foliage characterize the course at Seneca Hickory Stick.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.