The epicurean scene in Nevada’s desert city crams in everything from big-name celebrity chefs to barbecue joints and microbreweries.
Aeralists twirling above your table, Picasso-themed bistros, deep-fried everything at the Heart Attack Grill… Las Vegas’s glitzy image and big-spending regulars mean its most expensive and decadently themed restaurants often steal the limelight. But in recent years a homegrown food scene has sprung up, with craft breweries and small wine bars complementing food trucks and wholesome cafes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“I’d describe our food scene as experimental, culturally diverse and booming,” says Kimo Akiona, co-owner of Freemont Street’s hip brunch and coffee spot PublicUs. “Downtown and Chinatown are two foodie neighborhoods to explore: Downtown especially has quickly become home to some fun, progressive restaurants; it’s the heart and soul of old Las Vegas, where locals go to eat, drink and play.”
Head there to visit the Fremont Street Experience, a covered area of shops and arcades alongside barbecue joints, steakhouses and microbreweries; or rent a car and head out of town to find small homegrown wineries and cheesemakers. Still hungry? We’ve plated up a satisfying hotel built by a sushi empire and paired it with down-to-earth grazing tours that take in tacos, desserts, and some true “only in Vegas” mouthfuls – all bookable right here on Culture Trip…
Where to Stay: the Hotel…
When chef Nobu Matsuhisa started his career as a humble pot-washer in Tokyo in the Sixties, he could have never foreseen the glamorous empire of sushi restaurants and lavish hotels that would one day bear his name. Set in the Caesar’s Palace complex, right in the thick of things, Vegas’s Nobu outpost channels the same minimalist aesthetic as its sibling venues (sakura-printed screens, polished earth tones), adding a lacquer of Japanese serenity to the still-present Vegas flashiness. The highlight of your stay is likely to be the world’s largest Nobu restaurant, with its mushroom-like lanterns and curvaceous private booths. Try the dishes that made Matsuhisa famous – and are still on the menu today – including the must-try fluffy battered rock shrimp tempura, and the buttery black cod with miso.
What To Do: The Experiences…
One of Las Vegas’s biggest draws is its culinary diversity. You can snack your way around the world within the heady surrounds of The Strip, with stops at buffets, cabaret diners and brunch terraces as just some of the must dos. Get a local steer on the city’s epicurean highlights with this three-hour walking tour, which takes you into some of the hotel and resorts’ best patisseries and candy shops, as well as pizzerias, snack bars and burger joints.
“Over the years, Vegas has become quite the crossroad of different cultures which makes its way into our food scene,” says Akiona. “People are often surprised at how diverse the food scene is.” This e-scooter tour through Vegas’s hip Downtown celebrates the best of the city’s Mexican flavors. Mingle with fellow foodie travelers as you take to the streets on two wheels, snacking on tacos of the cheesy, beefy and porky variety. Save room for the deep-fried Oreos…
Seeing newlyweds stumble out of the Little White Chapel, multiple Elvis impersonators shooting the breeze, life-changing bets being placed and death-defying circus acts performing – there are a lot of “only in Vegas” experiences to be had in this town. Continue the theme on this guided tour of The Strip, where your local experts will introduce you to the celebrity chefs, candy sculptures and taco-themed weddings that make this city a one-off.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.