On this away-from-it-all experience, you’ll ditch the Las Vegas Strip and head out to the city’s hinterland for kayaking, horseback riding and stand-up paddleboarding.
It’s tempting to think of Nevada’s Sin City as merely a cluster of twinkling towers in the middle of the desert – a place to drop in for a few days of pure hedonism. But beyond the pool parties and roulette tables, Las Vegas is a destination rich in gentle adventures, food and natural beauty. With so much to explore nearby – from caves and canyons to lakes and valleys – it’s worth factoring in some time to dig a little deeper into the wider area beyond the touristy Strip, as Nevada native Mike Schoenbaechler, vintner at Vegas Valley Winery, explains:
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“People who don’t pause to explore the greater area while they’re in town miss out on a lot of fun local businesses, as well as the desert beauty that surrounds us. Try the Artisan Booze District in Henderson, for example. Only 15 minutes from the Strip, it has one winery, three craft breweries and a distillery.”
Alternatively, tap into Las Vegas’s slow-travel scene, with a kayaking tour over glass-like waters, a Wild West-style horse ride at sunset and a serene stand-up paddleboarding experience, all within day-tripping distance from the city and bookable right here on Culture Trip.
Where to Stay: the Hotel
With generous suites and a locally famous rooftop pool with glam cabanas, the Vdara really complements a stay in Vegas. Just a stone’s throw from the famous Fountains of Bellagio and the buzz of the Strip, the hotel boasts sparkling skyline views and provides a calm, modern and minimalist base between flights and road trips out of town. Part of the Aria Resort and Casino complex, it’s within walking distance of several of the city’s signature flashy fine-dining experiences – from Jean Georges Steakhouse to beloved New York export Carbone and upmarket Chinese at Blossom – and nightlife fun. After soaking up all the city action and taking a day trip into the desert hinterland, relax in Vdara’s two-floor, 16,000sqft (1,486sqm) spa, with a beauty salon, fitness center and smoothie bar.
What to Do: the Experiences
The natural beauty beyond Las Vegas is often overlooked. “There are so many hikes to take in,” says local Mike Schoenbaechler. “Red Rock Canyon is only 20 minutes from the Strip, and there’s a beautiful, 13mi [21km] loop that can be driven to see the red, mountainous landscapes.” Alternatively, head out on the waters around the Colorado River and Lake Mead, the largest reservoir in the United States. This full-day kayaking tour escorts you out to the lake’s sparkling, gem-clear waters for a four-and-a-half-hour paddle, factoring in time to swim, hang out, eat (lunch and snacks provided) and visit a cave on the Arizona side of the river.
Nevada’s stretches of untouched desert have a true Wild West feel, which is best embraced on horseback. This tour fills your view with rugged mountain scenery and your lungs with fresh wilderness air as you ride horses from a ranch into the Moapa Valley, spotting curly-horned sheep and jackrabbits along the way. Your guides will assess your riding ability on arrival, and there are horses to suit everyone, from beginners to pros. The journey ends with a hearty meal back at the ranch.
You’ve tried stand-up paddleboarding (SUP), and you’ve tried yoga – but have you combined the two? This Vegas-departing tour whisks you out to the still waters of Lake Mead to test your core strength, balance and composure as you learn to do a combination of poses atop your paddleboard over a 90-minute lesson. You’ll have time to paddle about independently and take in the expansive scenery, too.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.