Boston boasts history around every corner, with the Freedom Trail taking you through Beantown’s heritage attractions like Boston Common and the Old State House. From international brands synonymous with sumptuous, to only-in-Boston boutique experiences, the city’s luxury hotels boast more than marble bathtubs and skyline views – it’s about the carefully considered details and personalized touches. Here are our top picks for an indulgent stay in Boston.
You’ll feel like a proper Bostonian at the Four Seasons, planted on the cusp of hip-historic Beacon Hill and the Back Bay. Rooms are splashed with elegant champagne tones. Enjoy the views of the gold-plated dome rising over the State Capitol from your window-side seating area. After a stroll by the swan boats in Boston Public Garden, switch off at the hotel spa. Alternately, get the Four Seasons’ certified spa therapists to visit your room for a private couples massage.
A Four Seasons for the next generation, this 61-story skyscraper takes luxury to new heights. A 64-foot (20m) lap pool wraps around the floor-to-ceiling, curved glass windows of the Wellness Floor, presenting exhilarating views of the Back Bay. Swim to strains of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, piped in through underwater speakers. At night, order from 70 varieties of sake at the street-level Zuma Japanese, one of an exclusive international chain of izakaya pubs.
It’s not the Asian-contemporary decor, Frette linens or in-house French bistro that earns the Mandarin Oriental the most rave reviews, nor is it because the Mandarin Oriental is one of the only luxury Boston hotels with free breakfast – it’s the spa, which consistently gobbles up awards. The ritual begins with a hot towel and fragrant cup of tea before moving on to the quartz-crystal steam room and the heated Vitality Pool – all this before your treatment even begins. Choose between favorites like the Himalayan Salt Stone Massage or the Millennial Posture Treatment.
The Boston Harbor Hotel announces itself with a 60-foot (18m) stone arch leading from the Rose Kennedy Greenway to the South Boston waterfront. If arriving by sea, you can dock your vessel at one of the hotel’s 34 boat slips. This hotel prides itself on remaining “currently classic” – leather armchairs, plaid throw pillows, and calming nautical colors create a haven of livable luxury. Want to see the town? Ferries and cruises depart from Rowe’s Wharf outside.
With well-stocked bookshelves and velvet armchairs gathered around the marble-framed fireplace, the Whitney feels less like a hotel and more like the home of a cultured friend. Pedal around the photogenic alleyways of Beacon Hill on bicycles provided by the hotel. Your room key unlocks discounts at neighborhood institutions like Beacon Hill Chocolates and Bella Santé Spa. When you return, you’ll find linens turned down and a macaron on your pillowcase.
Looking for more plush new hotels in Boston? Check out our guide to the best hotels with balconies in Boston, bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.