There’s a vibrant rainbow of acceptance taking over the Sunshine State throughout June as the Florida LGBTQ+ community celebrates St Pete PrideFest.
June is Pride Month across the US, in honor of the 1969 Stonewall Uprising in Manhattan, but there’s no better place to wave a rainbow flag than under the warm Florida sun. St Petersburg’s PrideFest (June 1-26, 2021) is a month-long celebration of members, friends and allies of the LGBT+ community, spread across four themed weeks. Make a weekend of it by booking one of Culture Trip’s curated collection of hotels and experiences.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Outdoor Adventure Week kicks off Pride Month under blue skies along the Tampa Bay waterfront. The Pride OUTside festival will feature live performances, yoga classes and other interactive activities. The 5K race and 100yd Diva Dash will get the morning off to a running start.
Family Week is close behind, starting on the following Saturday. Both North and South Straub Parks, as well as the St Pete Pier, invite adults and kids (and anyone who fancies it, really) to come together for this new PrideFest event – with family-friendly entertainment and activities throughout the week.
Next, Arts + Qulture is the signature event of Arts & Music Week. Located in St Pete’s Warehouse Arts District, the Factory will host an immersive musical experience while honoring Queer and Black Culture on Juneteenth.
The month concludes with the Taste of PrideFest Week; Monday through Friday, participating restaurants and bars will serve up select items for only $5. On Saturday, the Pride Picnic cooks up one final festivity with food trucks, street vendors, live music and fireworks at North Straub Park.
Since the first event in 2003, St Pete PrideFest has continued to champion the LGBTQ+ community by increasing awareness of the human-rights issues its members face. Both public and private entities join together to create a more inclusive and accepting spirit in every aspect of the greater Tampa Bay area.
Although you’ll be actively supporting the LGBTQ+ community by attending, the St Pete PrideFest is as much about entertainment and amusement as it is about activism. Children and adults of all ages, backgrounds and interests will feel part of the festivities, even if they’ve never engaged in any Pride celebrations before. Honestly, who would say no to finger foods and cocktails during sunset at the Sirata Beach Resort’s PrideFest Kickoff Reception? The PrideFest Stonewall Reception is another must-attend event, not only for the open bar, but for the opportunity to access the James Museum after hours.
Whether you’ve visited Tampa before, or new to the area, St Pete PrideFest is a vibrant opportunity to embrace every color of the bright local community.
No matter where you fall in the LGBTQ+ spectrum, the St. Pete-Clearwater area offers something for everyone. It goes without saying that the 2.5mi (4km) Clearwater Beach – the pearlescent pride of the west Florida coast – is worth a visit. Venture a little further north and Caladesi Island State Park will treat you to more white-sand beaches, as well as wildlife trails and mangrove kayaking that can easily jam-pack a weekend.
A stop at the Salvador Dalí Museum is another must for your itinerary. Art lovers will be distraught if they miss a glimpse at the Chihuly Collection, 1mi (1.5km) away, where you can marvel at the dazzling installations by Dale Chihuly, one of the pioneering artists of the studio glass movement.
Still lingering after Pride celebrations have ended for the day? Meander down to former Top Chef contestant Jeffrey Jew’s new restaurant, Lingr. An Asian and Nordic-inspired menu is set to debut at this upscale-casual eatery where everyone is welcome. If there’s more celebration left in your soul, boogie two blocks up to Enigma for dancing, drag shows and drinks among LGBT+ locals.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.