Take the rolling hills of the Santa Cruz mountains and add an escapist villa in a forest grove, miles of scenic hiking trails and panoramic views of Monterey Bay, and you’ve got the Chaminade Resort & Spa – a perfect escape just minutes from downtown Santa Cruz. On a road trip along California’s historic Highway 1, Culture Trip stopped in to check it out one the top spas in Santa Cruz.
Just an hour and a half from San Francisco International Airport, and 40 minutes from San Jose airport and Monterey, Chaminade’s mountaintop location and sweeping views of the bay provide a perfect balance to sun-drenched downtown Santa Cruz and its busy boardwalk.
Read: 10 Things to Do in Santa Cruz, California
Deriving its name from Father William Joseph Chaminade, the 19th-century founder of the Society of Mary, the 300-acre (121ha) hilltop estate was once home to the Marianists, Chaminade High School, a WWII center for training priests and a 1970s religious retreat.
Transformed into a holiday resort in the 1980s, the Chaminade is now home to a stunning Mission-style main building and 156 newly refurbished guest rooms grouped into 11 villas.
Read: The Best Santa Cruz Surfing Locations
Our villa, comprising a spacious one-bedroom apartment with a separate living area, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom, was decorated in warm shades, with vibrant accent colors and contemporary Spanish-style furnishings, and from the private patio, the forest views are beautiful. Also on offer are free wifi, a coffeemaker, feather beds and BeeKind Gilchrist & Soames bath amenities.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
After unpacking, we set out to explore the resort’s amenities: a heated outdoor pool, a full-service day spa, hard court tennis courts, a fitness center with sauna and whirlpool, two outdoor jacuzzis, sand volleyball and badminton courts and a croquet lawn.
Next, we headed to the resort’s private hiking trails (a 1.75mi/2.8km or 1.25mi/2km path) and unwound among eucalyptus trees and old-growth redwood groves.
Read: Incredible Day Trips Just Outside San Francisco
After our hike, we headed to the spa, which offers a variety of treatments for men and women including massages and body treatments and enhancements, as well as skin and nail care services. Our favorite spot was the dreamy zen garden-like patio, where a jacuzzi bubbled away and padded lounge chairs offered scenic hilltop views.
For dinner, we headed to the Linwood Bar & Grill, one of two on-site restaurants, which serves locally sourced, farm-fresh ingredients. We enjoyed braised short ribs with whipped potatoes and a seasonal vegetable medley with a side of mac and cheese and a grilled 12oz New York steak with roasted fingerling potatoes.
As the sunken fire pit crackled, we sipped local wine while taking in the panoramic sunset over the bay and quietly planned our next trip back to the Chaminade.
Looking for further relaxation? Unwind at the Best Luxury Spa Hotels in Napa Valley, California
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.