This central California coastal city in San Luis Obispo County lures Pacific Coast Highway road-trippers in for bayside views and dog-pleasing places to stay.
Even the laziest dog is always down to roll around the chilled coastal town of Morro Bay, flanked by beautiful California coastline and peaceful parks. It’s known as “the Gibraltar of the Pacific” for its dominating ancient volcanic mound, which many driving along Highway 1 pause to take in. Canines can have as much fun in the sun as surfers, birdwatchers and boutique shoppers here. So, sit, stay and play at these pet-friendly hotels in Morro Bay, California.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
At the Inn at Morro Bay, it’s simply impossible to escape from the serene waterfront greenspaces. This pet-friendly hotel is surrounded by Bayshore Bluffs Park, Morro Bay State Park and the Morro Bay Golf Course, where you’ll likely be the one chasing the balls. A rainy day might delay your play, but trust us when we say that you and your dog will love curling up and watching the storm roll in from your bay-view, nautical-nodding room – all blue-and-white pinstripes and bird-motif cushions.
Get to know Morro Bay beyond the beach at Harbor House. This dog-friendly hotel is right alongside Main Street’s best cafés and boutique shops. You could brew up coffee in your room, but micro-brewed coffee is also warming up for you nicely at Top Dog Coffee Bar one block away. Grab yourself a Texas-style Lone Star burrito with brisket and pinto beans, then head over to Central Coast Raw Dog Food to get Fido their own fresh breakfast.
A pet-friendly motel one block from the ocean? Sounds pleasant, doesn’t it? You and Fluffy will settle into a cozy guest room with a kitchenette and get curled up on a pillow-top bed. Take a cat nap to the calm sounds of the waves and gentle purring. Whenever you wake, head down to the old fishing village and pick up some fresh fish for Fluffy. Kitty’s Kitchen is right around the corner if you need a seafood omelet for yourself.
Does Spunky prefer the park or the beach? No matter, both are within a five-minute drive from La Serena Inn. Even closer is Morro Rock which you can gaze at from the comfort of your suite or on the outdoor terrace. Embrace the Slo Cal lifestyle and stroll together through downtown, popping into Carla’s Kitchen, Tognazzini’s Dockside and the other Morro Bay restaurants that’ll happily put out a water bowl for your pup.
Bayfront Inn at the Waterfront lets you bring not one, not two, but three of your pets along for vacation. Yes, that means that you can roll up with the whole crew: Bark Wahlberg, Droolius Caesar and Cat Benatar. There’s plenty of room for your human crew at this dog-friendly Morro Bay hotel, too, and more than enough Crills salt water taffy to share in your room. As for the homemade cinnamon buns every morning in the lobby? You can keep those all to yourself.
Beach Bungalow Inn and Suites is right down the street from Morro Bay’s thrifty shops, if you need to scoop up some pet food or a vintage sun hat. Cruise on back to the Inn and heat up the gas fireplace if the temperature starts to drop. Trying to beat the heat? The cool waves of driftwood-strewn Morro Rock Beach are 1mi (1.6km) away. There are also free bikes available if you want to cruise around town and really wear them out.
A blanket and some biscuits on the beach, kindly provided at the dog-friendly 456 Embarcadero Inn & Suites in Morro Bay, sets the scene for a puppy photoshoot. Ask Bandit to return the favor and snap a few of you chilling in the hot tub. Slobber over your phone as you swipe through the shots on your fully furnished balcony, or take a walk down to the pet-friendly Dutchman’s Seafood House to split a basket of fish and chips.
No matter if Buster is a service dog, therapy dog or just plays one on TV, they’re welcome to stay with you at Inn at Rose’s Landing. They haven’t forgotten about your friendly feline either; Garfield can snuggle up in your room as well. Every species in your room will enjoy curling up by the fireplace and gazing out at the bay over the patio. Only one of you, though, will be able to drink in the views with a dark and stormy at Rose’s Bar and Grill.
Morro Bay Sandpiper Inn keeps its pet-friendly rooms on the ground floor, so no one’s sore joints need to summit a staircase. The refrigerator, coffeemaker and microwave will save you a few steps when preparing a quick meal for you and old Blue. If you’re feeling up to a mild walk, hop in the car for a fast five-minute drive to Black Hill Trail for an amazing dog’s-eye view of Morro Bay.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.