Condesa and Roma are two of the coolest neighborhoods in Mexico City, loved by both locals and travelers for the art deco architecture, popular restaurants such as Contramar, and cultural hotspots including Casa Lamm. There are plenty of quirky boutique accommodation options here, too. These are the best.
Looking for a boutique experience in the capital of Mexico? Book Culture Trip’s five-day Mexico City tour, where you’ll be guided through the best the city has to offer by our Local Insider.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Regal is the word of the day at this quirky hotel. Classified as a historical monument, the 1943 neocolonial-Californian mansion is home to seven rooms, all unique in design. The characterful bed and breakfast is conveniently located by both metro and bus stops, and chef Daniela is ready to whip up whatever you need to get going for the day, whether that’s a plate of fresh fruit or organic coffee from Chiapas.
The retro-modern design at Hotel Casa Nuevo Leon is easy on the eye, with a clean palette of grays and creams and light wood furnishings running throughout. Upgrade to a suite with a hot tub, and enjoy the sounds of the birds chirping away in Parque México as you take a soak. There is no restaurant, but the hotel is on a tree-lined street filled with stores, and a number of award-winning restaurants are nearby. A stop at El Moro for churros and hot chocolate is a must.
Feel like you’ve stepped into a friend’s home at this cozy and classically styled four-room hotel. Balcony doors allow natural light to flood in, and neutral interiors create a calm ambience. The property wraps around a communal patio space where there’s an impressive display of plants climbing the walls. In this part of town, you’ll be close to some of the top restaurants in Mexico City, including Contramar and Panadería Rosetta, as well as sights such as the Museo MUCA Roma and Jardín Pushkin.
Each of the five suites here follows its own color palette: the Negra room is filled with striking black details such as floor-to-ceiling marble, while the Rosa room is lined with plush, pink velvet. This impeccably designed bed and breakfast serves hot meals like sopes, tamales and eggs your way every morning, and is close to other Roma must-sees including Jardín Ramón López Velarde and the house where Roma (2018), the Alfonso Cuarón film based in the neighborhood, was filmed. But this high-design hotel feels like a movie set in itself.
Playful with a capital P, the rooms inside this French-style mansion in Roma Norte feature giant dots, stripes and slashes slapped on the walls. Fun and luxury come hand in hand here, and the small details don’t go unnoticed. Exclusive Malin + Goetz toiletries are available in every room, and the restaurant serves French-Mexican fusion cuisine using local produce. Get around town by taking the metro line a few blocks away, or hop on one of the bikes for rent from the front desk.
Lauren Cocking contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.