With its glorious stretch of shimmering Pacific coast that curls around the long peninsula and up into the Gulf of California, this northwestern corner of Mexico is a sailor’s dream. And there’s nowhere better to drop anchor en route than the Baja California Sur capital of La Paz. With its buzzing beachfront promenade, seafood-forward dining, and surfable local sand dunes it’s a city with plenty to keep you busy. Here we reveal the top things to do and see while visiting the coastal metropolis.
Sail into La Paz and explore all of its offerings by renting a boat through Dream Yacht Charter.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Baja California has some of the best whale-watching opportunities, making La Paz an excellent jumping-off point for this hugely rewarding activity. You can either sail around the peninsula to Magdalena Bay, renowned as a whale-watching hotspot or in the winter months try your luck with shorter excursions into the Sea of Cortez. In the winter months, you have an excellent chance of seeing migratory humpback or gray whales here breaching and spouting. Choose a sustainable tourism company for a boat that minimizes both noise and environmental impact.
Legendary scuba diving pioneer Jacques Cousteau once described the Sea of Cortez as the “world’s aquarium”, and its reputation today as one of the world’s finest scuba destinations remains unwavering today. There’s certainly no shortage of scuba centers in La Paz capitalizing on the incredible scuba-friendly sea life that inhabits or migrates through these waters – everything from hammerhead sharks and mobula rays to seahorses and octopuses. The geography of this gulf means Pacific swells have little effect here so calm seas make for ideal dive conditions.
Skipping this incredible island while visiting La Paz would be a major travel blunder. It was saved from development when Unesco declared it a biosphere reserve in 1995, and its dramatic volcanic landscape remains a haven for an incredible array of wildlife. It’s barely an hour by boat and the biggest draw is its resident sea lion colony, pups and all. You can even jump in for a swim with them – they’re far from shy so brace yourself for some close encounters. Hire a boat through Dream Yacht Charter and spend the week exploring; they offer a range of vessels, both bareboat and skippered.
Once you’ve got your land legs back, be sure to take a stroll along La Paz’s iconic Malecón. This 5km (3mi) stretch of the seafront is where you’ll find much of the city’s action. Locals whizz by on rollerblades, stop to shoot the breeze on benches and pause to admire the many artworks and sculptures that dot the popular promenade. Lining it are some rather lovely beaches, too, and if you stay until dusk you’re treated to fiery sunsets.
Just a short boat journey around the La Paz cape, you’ll find the small town of La Ventana and the air filled with dozens of colorful kiteboarding sails. With air currents channeled between Caravlo Island and the L-shaped bay, reliably consistent winds have made it a magnet for water sport enthusiasts. The season’s best blowing is November to March when several kiteboarding competitions take place and many professional kiters decamp here over winter. Your first time? Don’t fret, various schools offer kitesurfing lessons for all levels.
If you’ve had enough time out at sea and fancy something akin to surfing on dryland, La Paz has that too. El Mogote is a small peninsula that forms the northern shore of the Bay of La Paz, just 20 minutes from the city. Its steep hills of soft, fine sand at its middle provide the perfect conditions for sandboarding. While you do it on a snowboard, don’t expect any ski lifts here, so brace yourself for quite a workout, too.
If you’re hankering after the taste of the ocean, then few places serve a better menu of freshly caught seafood than Mariscos El Toro Güero. One look at how popular it is with the locals and you know you’re in for a treat. Here you’ll feast on denizens of the deep under a straw-roofed palapa, with everything from crispy ceviche and tostadas to cocktails overflowing with plump shrimp on the menu. What’s more, it’s just a brisk waddle back to your boat at the nearby marina.
With such an abundance of sea life, it’s no surprise that the Sea of Cortez offers some of the best sports fishing you’ll find on this side of the Pacific. You can leave directly from La Paz marina and hit one of the prime fishing spots in no time. The East Cape is one of the most popular, where it usually doesn’t take long before you’re reeling up a whopper. Or for a real challenge, don a wetsuit, load up a speargun and try your hand at spearfishing.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.