Mezcal, an often-smoky spirit made from agave, has been enjoying a boom for quite some time now. So as you can imagine there are plenty of places to get your mezcal fix in the Mexican capital. From dedicated ‘mezcalerías’ serving it neat to hip bars that offer top-notch mezcal cocktail concoctions, here are the best places to try mezcal in Mexico City.
Planning to try mezcal? Join Culture Trip’s five-day Mexico City tour, where our Local Insider will take you on a guided tasting tour to try this unique spirit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This stalwart mezcalería has a grand total of six locations across the capital which makes it both convenient and reliable. However, we recommend heading to one of the two Condesa branches as you can enjoy your tipple in some suitably hipster yet upscale surroundings, with minimal interior decor but a pleasingly extensive mezcal menu. There are around 50 mezcals on offer, but do try the exquisite flagship brand.
Los Amantes in Polanco has an almost overwhelming selection of more than 200 mezcal varieties to try. In addition to the breathtaking range of bottles on offer, the vibrantly colored, yet soothingly lit, Los Amantes also offers delicious Oaxacan-influenced cuisine.
Alipús Endémico are both a mezcal producer and provider, serving their own-brand bottles in their several Mexico City mezcalerías. As such, we highly recommend giving their eponymous brand a go when you’re there. Head to their best known location, which sits in a quieter part of the popular Condesa neighborhood. Sample your mezcal in peace, accompanied by traditional Oaxacan food.
A little off the beaten mezcal path in the Mexican capital is Mano Santa, which started from humble beginnings before moving to a spot in the Insurgentes neighborhood. Here, you’ll find all manner of mezcals, from those they produce themselves using wild Oaxacan agave, to more varied brand names and flavors that have been distilled in unique ways. Get there early if you want a seat – it’s a small spot and the crowds are thick.
Coyoacán is home to the excellent Mezcalero. Situated right in the heart of this artistic zone, this is one of the best known watering holes in the neighborhood. They have a menu replete with ingenious concoctions and combinations and judging by their candlelit tables, this would make a great spot for a date.
Tucked away in the streets of Mexico City, the appropriately named La Clandestina is a small but perfect spot offering a menu of around 40 different mezcals. What it may lack in choice compared with other mezcalerías, it more than makes up for in the sheer quality of its products, many of which are artisanal. We wholeheartedly recommend La Clandestina for those new to the mezcal-drinking world, as the staff are incredibly knowledgeable about their offerings and the menu is also packed with information.
One of the biggest and most recommended names on the Mexico City mezcal drinking circuit, Bósforo is a long-standing mezcalería in the capital with a reputation to match. Perfectly located in the historic center of the city, it’s easy to see why it has developed such a loyal following of patrons, despite the petite size and simple decor. Try out some mezcal from states beyond Oaxaca, or simply stick to the classic Oaxacan tipples – Bósforo has a little bit of everything.
You might be wondering what museum on earth makes for a great place to try mezcal and the answer would be none other than the Museo del Tequila y el Mezcal (MUTEM). Take a tour and learn about the process of mezcal production and distribution before popping to the adjoining cantina, known as La Cantina del Museo, to try exquisite mezcals and tequila.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.