Although Tulum has grown in size and popularity, there are still plenty of delicious budget eats to be found.Tulum may be the hottest getaway for New York fashion types, but it’s still Mexico, and one of the best things about Mexico is that you can find inexpensive restaurants that serve everything from international dishes, some with a Mexican twist, to, of course, tacos. Read on to see where to find fresh, delicious meals on a budget.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
One of the best things about Mexico is the tacos! At Taquería Honorio, located on Avenida Satelite Sur between Calle Andromeda and Calle Sol, you’ll find both authentic tacos and an authentic ambience. The secret behind its delicious food is the fact that everything is prepared in the traditional way. No shortcuts here. It offers tacos, quesadillas and tortas (sandwiches made on home-made baguette-like bread) for cash only. Try a torta de cochinita with the obligatory pink onion and habanero salsa. Arrive early because it closes when the meat is gone, usually between 1pm and 3pm.
Sometimes the simplest meal is the most delicious. At Pollo Bronco, this simple meal consists of a whole, half or quarter chicken, tortillas, rice and salsa. The whole chicken version comes to a total of 165 pesos ($7.50). This is one of the best and most satisfying ways to eat on the cheap in Tulum. There are additional side dishes available as well, and you can eat at one of a few plastic tables or take your order to go. Pollo Bronco is open for lunch or an early dinner. Don’t forget to order a Mexican Coke (made with real sugar, not high fructose corn syrup) to wash it all down.
El Rincon Chiapaneco
El Rincon Chiapaneco is what Mexicans call bueno, bonito y barato (good, nice and cheap). Located just off the main strip on Calle Jupiter, it serves a variety of traditional Mexican food like enchiladas, tacos, fajitas, ceviche and chiles relleno (stuffed peppers) for breakfast, lunch and dinner, along with a front-row view of the street, so it’s great for people-watching. It doesn’t serve alcohol, so try a fresh limonada (lemonade). It’s a little warm at midday, so go for breakfast and order huevos divorciados – two sunny-side up eggs on tortillas with green sauce on one and red on the other – or dinner.
El Camello Jr
El Camello, Jr is a Tulum seafood institution. Located on Avenida Tulum, it offers a wide variety of super fresh seafood prepared in different ways – soups, tacos, ceviche, cocktails and tostadas. Standouts include the coconut shrimp or lobster in guajillo chile. Service is efficient and friendly, portions are huge – so pay careful attention to what you are ordering – and, whatever you do, order a chelada, or michelada, (prepared beer cocktails) to go with your meal. The sign actually says El Camello, Jr, but everyone calls the place El Camello, so don’t get confused.
Looking for healthy, vegetarian or vegan options? Tropi-Q, situated just off Avenida Tulum on Calle Orian Sur, is a cozy, brightly colored space that serves lunch and dinner. This is home-made food at its best. Choose from pitas, falafel, hamburgers, tacos, pasta… the menu is large. It also offers a daily 100-peso ($4.50) menu (comida corrida in Spanish) on the ground floor and free Wi-Fi. Tropi-Q also has daily drink specials, like 2 x 50-peso ($2.25) beers and 2 x 150-peso ($6.75) cocktails.
Antojitos La Chiapaneca
If you love tacos, you’ll want to try them in more than one restaurant. Antojitos La Chiapaneca might not be much to look at, but its mouthwatering al pastor, beef or chicken tacos and tortas can’t be beat. Be sure to order the tacos al pastor with everything. It also offers sopes, tostadas, empanadas and vegetarian options – and not only is the food cheap, so is the beer. Bring your pesos with you, because credit and debit cards are not accepted. Antojitos la Chiapaneca is only open for dinner.
Argentina is famous for its empanadas, but you can try them in Tulum. Situated on Calle Satelite off the main road downtown, El Sudaca offers authentic Argentinian empanadas at a great price. The empanadas are stuffed with a delicious combination of ingredients; for instance, the Salteña contains ground beef, potatoes and onions. There are also delicious vegetarian options. El Sudaca also serves sandwiches, cuts of meat and tempting desserts. Have a glass of malbec and enjoy the twinkling lights in the courtyard.
Uno Japanese Noodles
Tired of tacos? Creative Japanese food with a Mexican touch is what’s served up for lunch and dinner at Uno Japanese Noodles. Choose from gyoza, edamame and miso soup, or order something off the Mexican fusion sushi roll menu, all served by a friendly staff in a place with a cool vibe and indoor/outdoor seating. Uno serves refreshing lemonade, but not alcohol, so stop by for a meal and head somewhere else for cocktails.
If you’re traveling with a group and everyone wants something different, visit Palma Central, Tulum’s first food truck park. Situated right on the main strip downtown, the park is filled with food vans serving tostadas, coffee, juices and crepes, pizza, burgers, churros, ceviche, Spanish food and gluten-free arepas from Venezuela. In other words, something for everyone. The entire place is open-air, beautifully lit at night, and there is even a playground for the kids. It’s open from 3pm to 11pm, so go for dinner and stay for cocktails or craft beer from the bar. Palma Central also holds special events like DJ sets, workshops, live music and an art camp for kids.
A burrito is basically an entire meal wrapped up in a tortilla, and nobody does burritos better than Burrito Amor. Located downtown on the main avenue and open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Burrito Amor was opened by married couple Cameron and Paula, who first fell in love with Mexico in 2010. Clean eating is the idea here, and much of the menu is paleo and vegan-friendly, and/or free of gluten, dairy, grain and egg. Your mouth will water just looking over the menu. Oh, and go ahead and ask for a straw, because Burrito Amor only uses reusable bamboo ones.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.