Cancún has far more to offer than spring break parties and all-inclusive hotels. Scratch below the surface and explore the city beyond the hotel zone by booking a vacation rental in Cancún with Culture Trip.
Although it wouldn’t be a trip to Mexico without a few margaritas, in Cancún – at the northeastern tip of the cenote-scattered Yucatán Peninsula – it’s worth wandering away from the bar-lined seafront. Discover ancient displays at the Museo Maya de Cancún, El Meco’s iguana-dotted Mayan ruins and a multitude of local ceviche spots and taco joints. Here’s our pick of the best vacation rentals and airbnb apartments in Cancún.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Flaunting a beachfront location, you’ll need no other convincing to stay at this fantastic Cancún vacation rental apartment. The water is always in view no matter if you’re prepping lunch in the kitchen, binging TV in the living room or savoring a drink on the balcony. You’re welcome to use the outdoor pool, but once you slip on a swimsuit, you’ll want to head straight to Playa Puerto Juarez. Fresh ceviche and tequila sunrises will keep you calm, cool and comfortable as the sun sets on Cancún.
Beachfront and penthouse combine for a Cancún stay like no other. This vacation rental apartment has three bedrooms, so you can share the views with your closest friends or favorite family members. Grill up shrimp tacos and have a picnic outside if you’re not keen to dirty your kitchen stovetop. Slide on a pair of comfortable sandals and your feet will glide you to Delfines Beach and El Rey Ruins in 15 minutes. For a quicker pace, hail a taxi and hit Aquaworld for adventurous water sports action.
You’ll feel lucky in these luxury two- and three-bedroom apartments – and that’s not because you’re within a 15-minute drive of the Dubai Palace Casino. Furnished balconies and extra living space offer more than enough room for you and your crew to have a laid-back stay. Afternoons spent poolside are equally enjoyable, unless you’d prefer to take an easy 20-minute rideshare to the beach. With a dedicated children’s pool, your kids won’t mind staying close to this vacation rental.
The Casino Macao, Yamil Lu’um ruins and the beach are among the many hotspots within walking distance of this one-bedroom airbnb in Cancún. Small yet more than sufficient, a kitchenette is all you’ll need to reheat delicious leftovers from the nearby waterfront restaurants. Retail therapy awaits at La Gran Rueda Cancún, a perfect place to pick up a few new swimsuits for the inevitable hours you’ll spend sunbathing at the Chac Mool Beach.
The serene ocean views alone make this Cancún vacation rental apartment worth more than a quick night’s stay. Coffee, tea and cocktails are easy to stir in the kitchenette – and even easier to imbibe on the private furnished balcony. You’ll see the sea from new vantage points with a 15-minute walk to Forum Beach or a bit longer of a hop to the Punta Cancún Lighthouse. That is, if the seaside bars along the way don’t set you off course.
Cancún locations don’t get much better than this. These three vacation apartments-with-a-view sit right over the beach at the northern end of the hotel zone. The Coco Bongo, one of the city’s busiest clubs, is outside the front door, and the surrounding streets are packed with bars, burrito stalls and restaurants. The apartments have ample space – especially in the two-bedroom Panoramic Studio, with its wraparound balcony offering 270-degree ocean views, which sleeps seven.
These simple suites are next to Highway 307, just over 1km from the beach, but only a 10-minute drive from Cancún International Airport. Rooms are simple but contemporary – with wood laminate floors and warm neutral tones. They sit over a large swimming pool with ample sun-lounging space. Stays come with complimentary breakfast and a free airport shuttle. The Xoximilco Mexican theme park – offering night cruises and kitschy themed cultural shows – is on your doorstep.
These Puerto Juarez apartments – some of which are big enough for families – are only a 15-minute cab hop from Cancún’s busy center, yet they’re quiet enough that only the music of the waves and calling gulls will disturb your sleep. While the beach isn’t as long as on Cancún’s hotel strip, the sand is still powdery and pearl-white, plus the apartment has access to a big, free-form infinity pool and children’s paddling area.
These economical, contemporary Cancún airbnb apartments feature queen-size beds and kitchenettes within Extended Suites Cancún Cumbres, an aparthotel in Cancún’s southern suburbs. Off the main state thoroughfare, Highway 307, it’s an ideal stay for those on a budget who want to be close to the airport. Digital nomads will appreciate the in-room workstations, while downstairs is a small pool and sundeck for lazy afternoons. Stock up on groceries at the large supermarket across the street – there’s also a string of US chain restaurants, cafes and takeaways if you don’t want to cook. Downtown Cancún is less than a 20-minute drive away.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.