Puerto Vallarta has long been a favorite holiday destination in the Mexican state of Jalisco, as it has an abundance of beautiful sandy beaches on the Pacific Coast and almost year-round good weather. It also has a fantastic range of accommodation options, meaning there’s something for every style and budget. These are the best places to stay in Puerto Vallarta, all bookable with Culture Trip.
If it’s sophisticated, adults-only hedonism you’re after, this all-inclusive hotel in Puerto Vallarta has it nailed. The sprawling, polished granite foyer oozes grown-up chic, while the all-suites rooms are a seductive mix of crisp white walls, burgundy velvet and pink linen. No need to get up early to throw your towel on a sun lounger here – the private beach and vast pool area has more than enough for everyone. From its spa to its swim-up bar, everything about this one is pure luxury.
Wafty beach cabanas, hammocks strung across the private patios and infinity pools with Pacific Ocean views: this adults-only resort in Puerto Vallarta ticks all the romantic must-have boxes. It throws in more than a handful of bonus add-ons, too – such as a choice of seven bars and dining spots, from contemporary, colorful Mexican cuisine at Murales, to refreshing, citrusy cocktails at the alfresco Pool Bar. Paddle board and bicycle rentals mean you can explore this gorgeous corner of the world under your own steam, too.
Don’t expect any bingo or pool parties when you check-in at this Puerto Vallarta hotel. Situated in a quiet, residential neighborhood, this intimate, 17-room property with its brightly painted walls, hand-woven rugs and eclectic artwork feels more like staying in a friend’s stylish home than a hotel. The main focus is the beautiful ivy-covered courtyard, where the pool and bar are located. But you can also kick back in the huge, laid-back lobby with its mismatched velvet sofas and framed Frida Kahlo sketches, or enjoy some shade on the back patio, which offers outstanding river views.
Just 18 rooms make up this charming boutique hotel in Puerto Vallarta – which is the definition of tranquility, with tasteful modern Mexican decor. Situated up in the mountains, the views of Puerto Vallarta sea are spectacular from your suites or the three different terraces. Situated in tropical gardens, every detail in this adults-only resort is considered, from the stunning traditional floor tiles, to the cushion covers and eclectic seating in the open air restaurant which overlooks the pool and relaxing top floor library bar.
If culture to you means celebrities, first class pampering and relaxation, Garza Blanca is the perfect Vallarta hotel. This sprawling haven is regularly frequented by Hollywood’s elite – and was even built on the site of an old Puerto Vallarta hotel that was just as frequently visited by stars of the ’60s. Offering some of the most spacious suites in Vallarta, Garza Blanca is a modern classic: dark wood and hi-tech features, set off by orange and turquoise pops of color. Best of all, most of the rooms offer ocean views, which means you might catch a glimpse of the whales’ migration in late spring.
A quiet and peaceful mid-range option in the center of Puerto Vallarta, Hotel Posada de Roger is a long-time favorite among frequent visitors to the region. Giving an Old Town Mexico feel, but also boasting a great location in the midst of all the action, this hotel is a gem of a find in Vallarta. The brightly lit, orange-hued central courtyard – which can be seen from the internal balconies – is incredibly picturesque, with its wrought iron furniture, central water fountain and leafy detailing. One of the best breakfast spots in all Vallarta is also conveniently located in this affordable and authentic posada, so make sure to get in early and grab a table in the morning.
Looking for more places to stay in Puerto Vallarta? Check into one of these hip apartments in the area, or book a stay at one of Puerto Vallarta’s best budget hotels, bookable with Culture Trip. If you want to treat yourself, book into one of the best luxury hotels. Don’t miss Puerto Vallarta’s best beaches, then kick back and relax at one of the top bars in town. For more amazing places to stay in Mexico, check out our pick of the best hotels in Manzanillo, Mexico, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Lauren Cocking contributed to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.