Known affectionately as Cabo, the former fishing village of Cabo San Lucas has grown into a fiesta-fueled beach resort at the tip of Mexico‘s Baja California Peninsula. But if the bars and clubs aren’t your thing, there’s a choice of hacienda-style hotels, boutique boltholes, family-run gems or chic urban beach houses where you’ll be able to pass a serene holiday in the sun. Take boat trips in search of dolphins, swim with whale sharks or paddleboard around the much-photographed rock formation and local landmark El Arco (the arch).
The 12-room Los Milagros is a quieter, more personal hideaway compared to many of the hulking tourist-towers in Cabo San Lucas. A fountain bubbles in a flower-festooned courtyard and the shade from palms around the plunge pool keeps things cool and tranquil. The main bars, clubs and restaurants are all just a short walk away. Los Milagros is a boutique hotel on a budget, ideal for families, golfers and surfers looking for a little authenticity in Cabo.
Hotel Mar de Cortez claims to be one of the first hotels ever opened in Cabo back when it was a little fishing village. It’s full of charm and personality, having been family-run for the past 45 years. Don’t expect sleek contemporary lines or modern fixtures and fittings, just anticipate genuine warmth and hospitality from your hosts. There’s a pool with a terrace area, filled with palm trees and shrubs, and a large sofa to relax in beneath the shade of the lobby’s high ceilings.
For convenience, this urban hotel ticks all the boxes, even if local touches are thin on the ground. Its 75 rooms and suites blend bright, simple design and soothing color palettes with all the standard extras you’d expect of an international city hotel. The much-loved Playa El Medano is a five-minute walk away and is particularly suitable for families, as its safe waters are great for swimming, and there are all sorts of aquatic activities, from kayaking to fishing tours.
This hilltop hotel is elevated above the revelry of central Cabo, providing a quieter experience for the more discerning traveler. Castillo Blarney wears its Irish influence proudly with a giant four-leafed clover painted on an outside wall. The rooms all have king-size beds and the suites come with kitchenettes. Brennan’s restaurant has views across the city rooftops to the sea and live music at weekends.
The Bungalows Hotel offers both bungalows and suites a few blocks from downtown Cabo San Lucas. The bungalows have extra living space but either way you’ll enjoy pillow-top mattresses and hammocks. Ask for a room with a private patio and fountain or try the honeymoon suite, which comes with chocolates and fresh tropical flowers. Personal touches throughout include in-room house blend organic coffee and handmade soaps. Do try the peach and pecan breakfast pancakes as they’re delicious.
If you’re looking for somewhere different to stay, why not book into one of the best luxury hotels in Cabo San Lucas? Or if you’d rather stay like a local, opt instead for authentic Mexican accommodation. For inspiration for your itinerary, there are plenty of things to do here, including some incredibly beautiful beaches. Make your stay complete with knowledge of the best places to eat.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.