Cruise around the car-free island in golf carts or swim alongside whales sharks on this holiday-ready sliver of sand off the Yucatán coast
Isla Holbox (pronounced ol-bosh and Mayan for “black hole”) is a long finger of land, primed for those of you seeking an antidote to Mexico’s hyper-touristed Mayan Riviera coast. Where the Gulf meets the Caribbean, this off-the-beaten-track island is just a couple hours’ drive, but a world away from, hotspot Cancún. Most come for the laid-back beach life, others for the spectacular wildlife – the whole area is located within the Yum Balam nature reserve and you can snorkel with whale sharks in the right season (May to September). For as much or as little as you’re planning to do, here are the top reasons why you should visit Isla Holbox.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Find your own slice of sandy paradise
Tracing a long stretch of sandy coastline along the northeastern corner of the Yucatán Peninsula, Isla Holbox offers mile upon mile of untouched beach to discover. Even close to town, there’s little beyond a smattering of shacks and wooden jetties to spoil the feeling of an unsullied paradise. Head along the coast in either direction, and you won’t have to travel too far to find your own piece of people-free serenity. Playa Punta Cocos is a good place to aim for if you don’t want to feel completely disconnected from civilization.
Get up close to the world’s biggest fish
Every year the largest migration of whale sharks – officially the largest fish in the world – can be found off the coast of Holbox Island. They congregate just a few miles offshore from around mid-May to mid-September and there are plenty of conservation-minded, well-regulated tours to get you close to the gentle giants without cramping their style. While there’s no guarantee you’ll find them, if you do, you’ll get the chance to jump in and share the water with these mesmerizing creatures.
Watch the sunset over magical Mexican waters
Thanks to the northwest position of the main beach at Isla Holbox, there are numerous spots to soak up the wonderful sunsets of the region. Punta Coco is a particularly popular place to enjoy it, with a dreamy mix of unspoiled golden sands, swaying palms and uninterrupted views out to the horizon. If you’d like to accompany it with a sundowner, there are numerous beachfront bars at the west end of Holbox Beach where you can get front-row seats, cocktail in hand.
Enjoy an open-air exhibition of Holbox’s colorful street art
Strolling around Holbox, you can’t help but notice the abundance of vibrantly colored murals and artfully rendered graffiti daubed across many of the buildings – it’s not called ‘Graffiti Island’ for nothing, after all. You’ll find most of it among the sand-scattered streets of Holbox’s pueblo (town), with some pieces by renowned Mexican artists. Head to the main square for a huge mural by resident artist, Ekza One, depicting the creation of the island.
Go for a cooling swim in a fresh-water sinkhole
The whole of the Yucatán peninsula is dotted with cenotes (water-filled sinkholes) and Isla Holbox is no exception. The best known is the Yalahau Cenote, set on the other side of the lagoon. It’s only accessible by boat, but it’s a lovely large natural pool with fresh spring water, legendary for their rejuvenating powers. During the 17th and 18th centuries, it was a useful source of water for passing pirates, while today it’s a lovely spot for a cooling dip among the mangrove forest.
Swim in bioluminescent bays
One of the most enchanting natural phenomena you can witness in Isla Holbox is its bioluminescence. The warmer months between May and September are the best time of the year to experience the event, when the waters are most plankton-rich. It’s also best during a moonless night – the stretch of beach around Punta Cocos is a favorite spot for enjoying the microorganism-powered light show. To really appreciate the experience, get in the water and splash about to stimulate the luminescence.
Explore the island by golf cart and kayak
The whole of Isla Holbox is a car-free zone, meaning the main form of motorized transport is the golf cart. They’re a super-fun way to zip around the island, though bear in mind that even these are banned at various points for ecological reasons. A more ecofriendly way to explore is by kayak, with tours that take you through the wildlife-rich mangrove forests. Kayaking under the stars is also a magical experience due to the area’s minimal light pollution.
Go birdwatching with a difference
Isla Holbox is well known for its wonderful flocks of pink flamingos that congregate just offshore. One of the best spots to see them is Punta Mosquito, a pristine band of sand just over an hour’s walk from the edge of town. Flamingo season is between April to October, but be sure to check the tide when planning your journey. Being part of the Yum Balam reserve, the whole of Holbox is a twitchers’ paradise and home to hundreds of box-ticking bird species.
Looking for more? To help you fill your Isla Holbox itinerary, we’ve compiled a list of the best things to do while you’re here. For somewhere to rest your head after all that exploring, check into one of the best hotels in town. And don’t forget to try the best restaurants and bars in Isla Holbox.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.