About your trip
With its cobbled streets, brightly painted buildings, and the perfect green cone of Agua volcano punching through the clouds behind it, the Guatemalan town of Antigua almost looks too good to be true. But it’s absolutely real, as you’ll find out for yourself on this adventurous trip. As well as exploring Antigua at ground level with the insight of a Local Insider, you’ll trek across the slopes of an active volcano, witness a Mayan ceremony at an archeological site, paddle across a volcanic crater lake and visit an art-filled mountain village – not bad for five days, eh? All of our trips are flightless in destination, with 100% of all carbon emissions offset. It's just part of how we see the world while being good to it.
- Explore Antigua with a Local Insider
- Embark on a sunset trek of Pacaya volcano
- Witness a Mayan ceremony in Iximche
- Kayak across Lake Atitlan
- Dig out arty treasures in San Juan la Laguna
After landing in the country’s capital, Guatemala City, you’ll be met at the airport (GUA) by one of our team and transferred to your hotel in Antigua. Once checked in, you’ll have the afternoon to check out your surroundings – the scenic central plaza is just around the corner. Come evening, it’s time to get to know your fellow travellers over a welcome dinner and drink – before hitting the hay.
This morning, after breakfast at your hotel, you’ll be met by one of our Local Insiders for an expert tour of Antigua. Wander its grid of cobblestone streets, lined with brightly painted barocco antiqueño buildings (an earthquake-resistant adaptation of baroque architecture, pioneered in Antigua), churches and monasteries. Stop in at craft shops selling vibrant ceramics, textiles and traditional costumes, and catch cooking wafts drifting from open windows. After lunch, you’ll be driven to Pacaya volcano, to trek along trails through humid forest to the summit – where sunset views of Antigua below, encircled by smouldering volcanic cones, are your reward. Oh, and pizza slices and singed marshmallows cooked over molten lava.
Today you’ll be swapping the city streets of Antigua for the shores of Lake Atitlan, a flooded volcanic crater. But first, breakfast, followed by a traditional Mayan ceremony among the ancient ruins of Iximche – a normal morning with Culture Trip, then. An hour or so from Antigua, Iximche was an important pre-Columbian Mayan city, evidenced by the still-visible remnants of its plazas, pyramids and ball courts – and it still is for the area’s contemporary Mayan population. After a tour of the site, you’ll witness a ceremony to set important dates, offer thanks and to ask for health, work and wisdom. After lunch, you’ll arrive at Lake Atitlan, where you’ll be free to spend the rest of the afternoon kicking back, or sign up for a heart-thumping zipline ride over the water.
Today is all about exploring Lake Atitlan, which is best done from the water. After breakfast at your hotel, you’ll be zipped across the lake to Santa Cruz la Laguna, where you’ll gear up for a kayak tour of the lush gardens that fringe the lakeshore. Afterwards, it’s back onto dry land for lunch, and then up into the hills to San Juan la Laguna, an eccentric place populated with artists and craftspeople. Galleries and workshops line the town’s steep streets, and are the perfect place to pick up something to remember your trip by.
Today’s the last day of the trip, so enjoy a slow breakfast at your hotel this morning. After you’ve finished, you’ll be transferred – along with your new travel buddies – to Guatemala City airport, where this particular trip concludes. Where you go next – home, or on to explore the rest of this fascinating country – is up to you.
- Four nights hotel accommodation
- Four breakfasts
- Welcome dinner with drinks
- Local Insider-led tour of Antigua
- Guided sunset Pacaya volcano trek with pizza
- Tour of Iximche with Mayan ceremony
- Kayak tour of Lake Atitlan
- Guided walking tour of San Juan la Laguna
- Return private transfers to Guatemala City airport
- Shared ground transport throughout
What's Not Included
- Travel insurance
- Flights to and from the destination
El Meson de Maria
In the heart of Antigua, this boutique hotel may only be doing an impression of a colonial building, but it’s delightfully convincing. Sepia-toned stucco walls, reclaimed terracotta floor tiles, and handcrafted furniture that has the feel of time-worn heirlooms – it’s a haven of beautiful little details. Sip cocktails in the plant-filled courtyard terrace, or kick back to volcano views on the solarium.
Porta del Lago
This glitzy hotel on the shores of Lake Atitlan makes the most of its location. A sun terrace with loungers overlooks the water, with the silhouettes of Atitlan, San Pedro and Tolimán volcanoes facing you on the other side. Below the terrace, a massive outdoor pool, fringed by lush foliage, is your very own oasis – while rooms, many with volcano and lake views, feel fresh and contemporary.
The safety and wellbeing of all travellers is our top priority. To help us ensure this, please refer to this checklist:
- Please check the entry requirements for the destination you are travelling to. Our travel experts can assist you in finding this information.
- We recommend you confirm all guidance on official government sites and check that you are able to travel with your travel insurance issuer. Your travel insurance may be invalidated if you travel against government advice. Our travel experts can assist you in finding this information.
- You must be aged 18 years or over to join this trip.
- Please be sure to check whether or not you need a visa to enter the country you're travelling to. Please refer to our Booking Terms & Conditions for further information.
- If you have any pre-existing medical conditions or accessibility requirements, please notify our Customer Support team as soon as possible.
- To upgrade to a private room, or book pre- and post-trip accommodation and/or airport transfers, please contact our Customer Support team.
- Please be aware that travel insurance is compulsory for all travellers.
- Please be aware that the itinerary, activities and hotels are subject to change. While unlikely, these changes can happen due to circumstances beyond our control. We will always do our best to ensure minimal impact on your experience.
- Please be aware images on this page are for illustrative purposes and may not reflect your itinerary exactly.
If you cancel 56 days or more before your scheduled departure date, you will receive a 100% refund. Otherwise, the total cost of your trip is:
- 100% payable if you cancel 29 days or less before your departure date.
- 50% payable if you cancel between 30 - 55 days before your departure date.
Please note you can only book this trip in advance up to 14 days before the departure date. After this time the trip may be booked on request.
Terms & Conditions
Please refer to our Booking Terms & Conditions.