A lot of people move to Vancouver because of its easy access to nature and, thus, outdoor adventures. The city is not only surrounded by mountains, but it’s also on the coast. Besides hiking or taking to the seawall, there are many invigorating outdoor workout classes in Vancouver. Keep reading to find out more about getting fit outside in the city.
Outdoor Yoga with Mat Collective
From June to August, local yoga studio and yoga mat recyclers Mat Collective offers free outdoor yoga classes at Kits Beach and Riley Park, making it Western Canada’s largest free outdoor yoga program. The classes happen every day in both locations all summer, and class sizes can grow to include over 120 people. “We believe fitness classes need to be accessible to everyone, no matter their income bracket.” Mat Collective also hosts indoor studio classes the rest of the year.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Fit 4 Two Stroller Fitness
Fit 4 Two offers high-quality fitness classes and wellness programs that target pregnant women and new mothers. It began in Vancouver and now has franchises in 15 locations across Canada. They do outdoor stroller fitness classes and bootcamps, which they confirm aren’t a walk in the park and offer a full-body workout. There are sessions across the Greater Vancouver Area, including at Ambleside Park in West Vancouver and Trout Lake in East Vancouver.
Running Room Run Club
The Running Room is a family-owned business that specializes in workout shoes, clothing, and accessories. It began in Edmonton and now includes 110 locations across North America, including four in Vancouver. Each store has a Run Club, which is a free club that is open to all runner and walkers and holds practice runs and walks every Wednesday evening and Sunday morning. Each level gets their own pace group leader too. It’s a fantastic initiative to practice for Running Room races and a great way to meet new friends and exercise, of course!
Inside Out Fitness Bootcamps
A North Vancouver-based business, Inside Out Fitness specializes in outdoor bootcamp-style classes. The one-hour workouts are suitable for all fitness levels and include working with body weight, dumbbells, and resistance bands. “The classes focus on developing proper techniques and are intended to improve posture, core strength and help prevent lower back pain.” Inside Out Fitness also offers a one-week free trial, so you can try before you buy.
Vancouver Circus School Classes
Vancouver Circus School is a family-owned and operated educational institution, located in both New Westminster and North Vancouver. They’re passionate about providing a physical education in circus arts to everyone, from children to seniors. “Our programs are specifically designed to promote long-term development, physical literacy, and healthy practices.” They have drop-in classes, camps, and long-term programs, which includes an Intro to Circus class. Some classes and performances take place outside.
MEC Ride and Run Sessions
Another free run club in Vancouver, MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) is a retail co-op that sells exclusively to members, and lifetime membership has been $5 since 1971. Every week they host both an advanced trail run event, as well as a regular run crew that runs between four and seven kilometers (2.5–4.3 miles) each session. But they also organize a meet-up ride on Sunday mornings, which is open to beginner road cyclists who want a workout and go on a scenic ride around Vancouver.
Survivor Fitness Bootcamps
Another outdoor bootcamp option, Survivor Fitness runs classes every four weeks year-round and has locations across the Greater Vancouver Area, in places such as Burnaby, Yaletown, Port Coquitlam, and New Westminster. Their main goal is to help you “get fit, reach your goals, improve your health and get you the results you want!” The bootcamps use various equipment and are suitable for all ages and abilities. These classes have received Georgia Straight’s Best Bootcamp/Outdoor Training Program award in Vancouver 12 years in a row, so they know how to get results.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.