In Abu Dhabi, the perfect way to dive into the rich cultures of the emirate is to visit the traditional souks and markets.
Dates, gold and livestock have been traded from Abu Dhabi for generations, and local producers are passionate about preserving their artisanal traditions. Between Abu Dhabi city and the quiet oasis of Al Ain are some of the most skilfully produced souvenirs in the region – an insight into what life was like in the desert centuries ago. Watch traders haggle over camels, sample delicious chewy dates, and support female business owners in the best markets in the UAE capital.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Madinat Zayed Gold Souk
The gold souks of the UAE are a dazzling sight. Shopfronts shine with extravagant displays – row upon row of bright-yellow gold bangles, trays of rings, and thick clusters of hanging necklaces. It feels a little like stumbling across El Dorado within a modest shopping mall. But showy shopfronts aside, Madinat Zayed Gold Souk is the place to pick up gold for bargain prices. The UAE is a global trading hub for gold, and the friendly shop traders – who have been in the business for decades – are happy to share their expertise.
The quality of rugs and carpets in the Middle East is second to none, and the Carpet Souk shows off the best. You can browse more than 100 shops stocking woven pieces from Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and beyond. Hanging outside shopfronts, plush carpets in rich shades of ruby and topaz will entice you; inside you’ll find woven Arabic-style cushions as seen in a traditional majlis – a seating area where guests are received and entertained. The exceptional quality of the rugs means you’ll spend a fair amount, but enough shopping around and haggling will ensure you strike an incredible deal.
Mina Date Market
Dates are a cornerstone of Arabian culture and hospitality, so much so that the date palm is included on the Unesco Intangible Cultural Heritage list. Historically, they were an important source of nutrition for Bedouins; today they are gifts at times of celebration, such as Eid, and are used to break fast during the holy month of Ramadan. More than 100 date varieties grow in the UAE, all of which are artfully displayed on silver platters and in wooden barrels at Mina Date Market. They make perfect souvenirs – particularly those dipped in chocolate or stuffed with candied orange peel – as do the jars of treacly date syrup or the more unusual pickled dates.
Al Ain Souk and Camel Market
It’s worth waking early to visit the last-remaining camel market in the UAE. Traders wrangle with animals for haggling customers, while pick-up trucks arrive periodically, full of livestock to be corralled into pens. It’s dusty, chaotic and loud, and offers a glimpse into a traditional way of life still thriving in the region. You can see camels from across the Gulf states – including black camels from Saudi – most of which are purchased for breeding and racing. There are often a few adorably clumsy babies in the fray too. Most handlers will allow you to take photos for a fee, and some offer tours, but make sure to agree to a price before committing.
Meet Abu Dhabi’s legendary producers for yourself. Check out Visit Abu Dhabi for more information and to book your adventure today.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.