The world’s largest coffee shop is in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and can seat over 1,000 people. The café, which opened in 2014, has one of the best views of the city, delicious and Instagrammable food and all-round great coffee and tea. Here is everything you need to know about Al Masaa Café in Riyadh – the largest café in the world.
A drive down Al Olaya District in Riyadh will show you some of the city’s most luxurious skyscrapers, fancy hotels and major financial buildings, as well as a number of speciality coffee shops and artisanal cafés. While coffee has been an essential part of Saudi (and Arab) life for centuries, artisanal coffeeshops and cafés have only become hugely popular throughout the Kingdom only in recent years. And, just as it has been since generations gone, coffeeshops and cafés are not just about the coffee they serve, but the culture within them. They are a place for people to socialise with strangers and friends alike, to rewind from their busy lives for a bit and engage in interesting and unorthodox conversations.
Because of how relevant café culture is to Saudi life, it just makes sense that the world’s largest one would be in Riyadh – it is, after all, one of Saudi Arabia’s most happening cities.
But don’t expect Al Masaa to be like all the other cafés in Riyadh (or the rest of the country, for that matter). While, for the most part, it has the same energy as the rest of them – comfortable, productive, and welcoming – there is a lot of opulence here.
What is the café like?
The café, which can seat 1,050 people, boasts one of the best views of the city and is one of its biggest attractions. A lot of people, especially in the evening, tend to visit just for the view.
Al Masaa offers indoor and outdoor settings that manage to capture that signature airy, yet private, feel of a well-designed café. The subtly elegant interior is decadent, but far from pretentious. Its somewhat sophisticated atmosphere attracts a large high-end leisure audience, but there are always plenty of students and other young people socialising, working or studying.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The seating, however, is clearly more about the appearance than the comfort, so it’s probably not the best option if you are looking for a place to spend more than an hour or two working hard.
What is the menu like?
As you’d expect, Al Masaa’s food and beverages are a little more extravagant than a regular café. Expect hearty burgers and sliders, elegant club sandwiches, shrimp cocktails, pasta, a variety of mocktails and all sorts of desserts with chocolate oozing out of them.
The menu reflects both an Arab and international touch and there are a lot of choices that combine the two. A popular dessert snack is the date cake that combines a chocolate and date-flavoured cake with date syrup and a sauce filling.
There are plenty of teas and coffees to choose from – besides the classics, you can find a variety of speciality coffees and exotic teas.
Their flavoured lattes and cold blends are popular favourites but for the most ardent of coffee fans, their options won’t exactly feel like something they haven’t already tried before for those prices. But most people aren’t there for the coffee but the atmosphere and the view – and it is absolutely a must-visit, at least once.
The café is open from 6.30 am to 1 am.
Note: The menus are in Arabic only, but most waiters have a basic understanding of English and are glad to help with translating it.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.