Stunningly designed and filled with carefully curated cultural offerings, the King Abdulaziz Center for World Culture – also known as Ithra – is one of the Kingdom’s most exciting developments.
It’s impossible not to be awestruck by the monolith, 90 metres (295 feet) high, that towers over the Ring Road in Dhahran. The King Abdulaziz Center for World Culture is the eastern province’s most iconic landmark and the epicentre of art and culture in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The building’s striking composition and gardens are reason enough to spend the day, but condensing this multifaceted hub into a short visit wouldn’t do it justice. Aligned with one of the main objectives of Vision 2030, Saudi Arabia’s vision for the future – to highlight KSA’s vibrant heritage and culture – Ithra has tapped into the country’s long-subdued creative wellspring and is helping to shape its cultural and artistic renaissance.
Voted one of Time magazine’s World’s Greatest Places in 2018, Ithra, which means ‘being rich from knowledge’ in Arabic, just celebrated its first anniversary. Plans for the centre were announced by Saudi Aramco in 2008 and in December 2017, after almost a decade, the building was inaugurated by King Salman bin Abdulaziz. The enormous facility contains a 220,000-volume library, theatre, cinema, museums, galleries, an energy exhibit, archives and an Idea Lab and Knowledge Tower that includes 18 floors of educational space for workshops.
The centre’s stunning architecture, designed by Oslo-based company Snøhetta, is as inspirational as any work of art inside its galleries.
“The building’s design is inspired by the shapes of oil-bearing rock formations, the source of the Kingdom’s energy wealth,” explains Dr Ashraf Alfagih, Ithra’s head of communications and partnerships. “The shape is an assortment of different-sized rocks, symbolising diversity. These rocks also lean on one another to represents solidarity and the interdependency of various disciplines.”
Receiving over more than 500,000 visitors since opening to the public, “Ithra has cemented its position as a cultural window to the world in KSA,” says Dr Alfagih.
In 2018 it hosted the Arab Summit and launched Tanween, a 17-day event that included creative workshops, talks, seminars and exhibitions. The Knowledge Tower holds educational workshops in art, media, literature and other creative fields throughout the year. The centre’s theatre has hosted 50 performances and international music shows. This year, Ithra will host the the Saudi Film Festival in partnership with the Saudi Arabian Society for Culture and Arts.
In addition to special events and workshops, the centre’s galleries and cinema are open six days a week. The three galleries feature Saudi-born regional and global artists and the cinema screens educational and cultural films.
“Documentaries and educational films are at the core of our cinema’s offerings,” says Dr Alfagih. “We seek to equip Saudi Arabia’s talent with the network, skills, platform and opportunity to become the creatives of tomorrow.”
Films such as Joud, Ithra’s first production, give a deeper insight into the Kingdom’s culture and heritage.
As Dr Alfagih explains, “We identify as Saudi at heart and multicultural by nature, and offer programmes that support this identity.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.