The West Bank might not be the first destination that comes to mind if you’re thinking of learning Arabic, but there are in fact many factors that make it the perfect place to spend time working on your language skills. As well as Palestinian Arabic being an easy, elegant and widely understood dialect, Palestinians are some of the warmest and most welcoming people out there, which provides plenty of opportunities to get practising.
Centre for Jerusalem Studies
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Learn Arabic with the breath-taking sights of Jerusalem on your doorstep! The Centre for Jerusalem Studies holds spoken and Modern Standard Arabic courses at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. Courses run per semester and students can choose to take classes either in the morning or evening. Each semester includes 75 hours of teaching, held at various sites in the Old City and in Sheikh Jarrah in East Jerusalem. Tuition costs 3025 NIS per term, plus a registration fee. More details here.
Bethlehem is best known for its many historical and religious sights, but it is also home to a lively social and cultural scene, based around the university. Bethlehem University runs both intensive three week (60 teaching hours) programmes for spoken and media Arabic in January, July and August, as well as regular two month courses (30 teaching hours) throughout the rest of the year. Intensive courses cost 900 USD, regular courses 500 USD, and private courses are also available for 120 NIS an hour. More details here.
Al-Quds Bard Intensive Program, Bethlehem
If you already have an intermediate or advanced level of Arabic and are looking for an immersive language experience to really hone your language skills, look no further than the al-Quds Bard intensive summer program. As well as cultural excursions, activities and fascinating courses on Palestinian culture and politics, al-Quds stipulates an Arabic-only policy whilst on site, as well as offering accommodation with a host family, therefore making it the most effective way of perfecting Arabic skills for those who like a challenge. Tuition and accommodation for the month-long programme costs 5,200 USD, with scholarships available. More details here.
Much of Ramallah’s busting cultural life, including talks, film screenings, live music and club nights, revolves around Birzeit, the West Bank’s oldest and most renowned university. The Birzeit Palestinian and Arabic Studies Program offers Modern Standard and spoken Arabic courses, as well as a range of social and political courses such as Modern and Contemporary Arabic Thought, the Palestine Question and Women in Arab Society. Courses run for 9 weeks in the autumn, spring, and summer semesters and consist of 72 teaching hours. Language courses cost 700 USD per semester. Find out more here.
Ramallah’s Sebil Language center offers a range of MSA and spoken Arabic options to suit everyone, including intensive, non-intensive formats, online and even weekend courses for those pushed for time. Private courses are available, as well as ‘mixed’ MSA and spoken Arabic programs for those looking for a well-rounded Arabic experience. Four-week courses start from 600 EUR. More details available here.
An-Najah National University
The ancient city of Nablus, located in the northern West Bank, is home to a beautiful and busting Old City rivalling that of Jerusalem, with many things to do and see. Its biggest university, an-Najah, offers an immersive Arabic language course for non-native speakers, including educational excursions and a homestay with a local family. Also on offer are courses on Arabic literature, media and spoken Arabic. Tuition fees are 1200 USD per semester and 600 USD for the shorter summer session. More details here.
Project Hope Arabic Language School
Project Hope is the budget-friendly Arabic language school, offering month-long Arabic courses for non-natives for 500 USD per month, including accommodation. The school offers 2 hours of private Arabic tutoring to students a day, and in exchange volunteers teach language, creative, or applied skills classes to local Palestinian students, providing the perfect opportunity to put your Arabic skills into practice. Find out more here.
The Excellence Centre
The holy city of Hebron is also home to a bustling modern metropolis and ceramics trade, but has recently been the site of occasional religious tensions. Despite this, the Excellence Centre still proves to be a popular Arabic learning destination, offering language courses as short as two weeks, in addition to excursions around the West Bank, home stays and volunteer English teaching opportunities, providing students with the chance to connect with many Palestinian people and fully experience their rich culture and warm hospitality. More details available here.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.