Muscat is a wonderful city that is rich in natural and architectural beauty. There are also many trips that can be taken from Muscat, to enjoy the charm and culture of the other regions in Oman. Here are the best day trips that visitors can take from Muscat for an unforgettable vacation in Oman.
An adventurous trip through the mountains
Oman is full of mountains, the Al Hajar Mountains in the north being the most famous. They extend from Musandam Governorate in the far north, by the Arabian Gulf, to the Al Sharqiya Region in eastern Oman, by the city of Ras Al Hadd.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A trip to Jebel Shams
Jebel Shams, which means the Mountain of Sun, is the highest point of the Al Hajar Mountain Rang, reaching 3,009 m (9,872 ft) high. It is located 240 km (149 mi) from Muscat, and is believed to be the first spot where the sun rises in Oman. The mountain has two summits, northern and southern, but only the southern summit is open to the public, as the other has a military base.
Jebel Shams is also known as the Grand Canyon of Arabia. A trip to Jebel Shams is an adventurous experience for rock climbers and hikers. The views over the surrounding towns and villages are marvelous, as are the sunrises from here.
A trip to Al Jebel Al Akhdar
Al Jebel Al Akhdar, which means the Green Mountain, is another famous mountain within the Al Hajar Mountain Range. It is located around 150 km (93 mi) from Muscat. As its name suggests, the mountain is famous for its beautiful green plantations. Some Omanis live on the mountain, and it’s famous for its agricultural produce and honey bees.
Explore the desert and the golden sand dunes
Oman has lots of marvelous deserts; most famous are the Wahiba desert in the Al Sharqiya Region in eastern Oman, and Al Rub Al Khali Desert (the Empty Quarter) in the Dhofar Region in southern Oman. These deserts have golden sands and sand dunes, and diverse and spectacular wildlife.
For a day trip from Muscat, head to the Wahiba Sands in the Al Sharqiya region, only 239 km (148.5 miles) away. Visitors can go sand boarding, or enjoy a day with the Bedouin tribes in their unique tents.
Enjoy the sandy beaches and crystal waters
Although Muscat has some of the most gorgeous beaches in Oman, other regions have amazing sea life, such as dolphins and turtles. A day trip to explore these beaches is definitely worthwhile.
Day trip to Ras Al Jinz
Ras Al Jinz is located in the city of Ras Al Hadd, at the easternmost point of Oman and the Arabian Peninsula. It is a natural reserve for green turtles, which come to the beach to lay their eggs. Local companies organize special tours for visitors to watch the turtles lay their eggs early in the morning, and the small turtles return to the sea after hatching. It is a charming experience and a must-visit place for a day trip from Muscat.
A Day Trip to Musandam
The Musandam Governorate is a peninsula at the northernmost point of Oman. It is surrounded by the Arabian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, and it has several spectacular beaches, such as Khassab Beach. The waters here are full of dolphins, so boat trips here are a must.
A walk through Oman’s history and forts
Oman’s history is rich with ancient stories and unique events that can be told through its magnificent forts and castles. A walk through Oman’s history on a day trip to its unique forts shouldn’t be missed.
A day trip to Al Dakhliya
The Al Dakhliya Region is the centre of Oman. It has some of the most unique forts and castles in the country, such as Nizwa Fort, Bahla Fort and Jabreen Castle. Visiting these forts and castles, with their traditional local souks, is unforgettable.
A day trip to Al Batinah
The Al Batinah Region in northern Oman is another spectacular region full of historical secrets. Less than two hours from Muscat, visitors can enjoy the architectural and historical beauty of Al Rustaq Fort, Al Hazm Castle and Nakhal Fort.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.