A healthy café culture, often understood as the hallmark to a city’s claim to cosmopolitan stature, enjoys assuring confirmation in Lebanon’s capital, Beirut. The only difficulty one faces when looking for a cup of coffee, tea, or a light snack, is the sheer number of options. Making it easier for you, here’s our guide to this Mediterranean city’s stand out venues.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ginette is a concept store and café designed by the award-winning architects at Raed Abillama firm. The façade boasts a high and mildly curved arch, separating spacious and modern open plan interiors behind a wall of glass. The ground floor and terrace are dedicated to an eatery serving healthy salads and a wide choice of gourmet sandwiches and desserts. Further in, you can discover a boutique store featuring a combination of high street labels and alternative designers, while the mezzanine hosts an exciting art exhibit run in collaboration Tokyo’s Nanzuka Underground Art Gallery and modular furniture by the Swiss-based company USM.
Bar, Cafe, Restaurant, Middle Eastern
Attracting a crowd of young professionals and college students, the iconic De Prague is at once a local favourite study spot and the ideal venue for a relaxed night out. They serve remarkable American coffee, a variety of snacks and affordable lunches, and cocktails at any time of the day. Key to this cafe’s popularity, however, is its relaxing ambience created by soft lighting and eccentrically furnished interiors. To many of its patrons, the art-house movies routinely projected in the background make for the most comforting of surroundings.
Situated in the hip Gemmayzeh neighborhood, Urbanista reflects the charm of Beirut’s modern and cosmopolitan spirit. The combination of red brick walls, bookshelves, comfortable leather couches and natural woods makes this place an ideal setting to finish up some work, read a book or chat amiably among the international crowd of its clientèle. On the menu, anything from salads, gourmet breakfast items, fried calamari, deserts and a wide selection of tailor-made warm drinks can be found. A breath of fresh air is not a problem, with an outdoor back terrace offering one of the city’s sought after peaceful green spaces.
If you’re into uncompromisingly good coffee, look no further than Café Younes, a long standing institution first established in 1935 on a street in Downtown Beirut. For over 80 years, this acclaimed speciality coffee roaster has been serving freshly roasted and ground coffee on the spot to generations of loyal customers. Beyond coffee, they also serve a number of signature drinks, baked goods and fresh sandwiches in a contemporary and homely setting shared by each of the venues they now operate within the city. Regularly organised poetry readings and live music nights are especially worth looking forward to.
Demo is mostly crowded at nights, a favourite spot for midweek cocktails and full-on weekend parties, which also serves excellent coffee and cakes during the day. At whichever time you choose to visit, you are sure to enjoy tapping your feet to the carefully curated background music in this cosy and unpretentious atmosphere.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.