The Arabic language is as rich and complex as its history. One different letter or intonation can change the meaning of a word drastically. This makes the language’s names diverse and deeply rooted in history. Here are some of the most beautiful names in the Arabic language.
Did you know you can now book immersive, small-group trips with Culture Trip? Check out our full catalogue of once-in-a-lifetime premium itineraries and join us for some unforgettable adventures.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A widespread name with roots in many languages, Aya is given to girls. In Arabic it is a Quranic name derived from the word which means “verse”. It is not only “Quranic verse”, but holds the connotations of “miracle” and “existence of God”.
A name given to girls, Amal is the Arabic word for “hope”. The word itself is beautiful as it is one of the only ones in the Arabic language to mean this.
Meaning “transcendent”, Sami is a name given to boys. It’s popular throughout the world with variants in Germanic languages as it is derived from Samuel.
Dalia is a name with roots in Arabic and Hebrew. In Arabic, it stems from the word for grapevine or vineyard and is given to girls. What makes it special is its lyrical quality and softness (pronounced Da-Lya).
Interested in Arabic culture? You’ll love our Arabian Nights: The Complete Morocco Experience trip, which takes you – over the course of 11 days – from sleeping beneath the stars in the Sahara Desert, to roaming the blue-hued streets of Chefchaouen.
Pronounced Ka-Reem, the name means generous and is given to boys. It is both a common word in the Arabic language and a deeply meaningful Islamic name. It is one of the 99 “names” which were revealed to humanity as adjectives used to describe God.
Perhaps one of the most beautiful names in the Arabic language, Dounia means “the world” and is given to girls. Pronounced Du-Nya, the names takes on deep philosophical meaning, as in the Islamic names Al Hayat Al Dounia comes to mean finite life. This makes the name Dounia a description of what it is to be a human being.
Another one of the “Blessed names of God”, Hadi means “who gifts” and is a name given to boys. The connotation being here that God has gifted religion onto the world.
Kamal is a boy’s name meaning perfection, beauty and completion. It is derived from the word Kamal-Al Din which means the perfection of religion. The meaning perfection of course cannot escape its deep and philosophical connotation.
There’s so much to be found in the Arab word – but when it comes to out-of-this world landscapes, Jordan rises above the rest. Our nine-day Beyond Petra: Discovering Jordan’s Rugged Side trip delivers heart-stopping scenes, from snorkelling in the Red Sea to summiting Mount Haron at sunrise.
A girl’s name, Lay-La, is derived from the Arabic word for night and can be used as the singular form of the word. It became popular after the spread of A Thousand and One Nights (Alf Leila w Leila). The word itself means ecstasy and intoxication, giving it a deeper layer of meaning.
Pronounced Nad-Ya, the girl’s name is widespread with origins in Bulgarian and Russian. In Arabic it means tender and delicate. It is derived from the name Nada which means “dew”.
A boy’s name, Salem means peaceful and complete. It can also be used as the word for safe and sound. Salem has a rich and complex history with roots in Hebrew.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.