Twin brothers Omar and Mohamed Kabbani’s colossal art project is helping reframe how the world sees the Middle East.
In November 2017, a huge project was unveiled on the rooftops of Tripoli, Lebanon – a 1.3-kilometre-long string of green letters that reads salam, meaning ‘peace’ in Arabic. The masterminds behind the project, named Operation Salam, were twin brothers Omar and Mohamed Kabbani, who form the Lebanese street-art duo Ashekman.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The aim of Operation Salam was to reframe how the world sees the Middle East.
Omar Kabbani says that, while the region is full of positive developments, the news often only portrays negative stories about the Middle East. As a response, the brothers wanted to create a big message “that can be seen from space”.
The brothers chose the word salam to show how much the idea of peace means to Middle Easterners.
“We wanted to convey a message that we are a region that wants peace, that is full of peace, and we decided to do that through our art,” he says.
Omar says he and his brother chose to create the project in Tripoli because of the city’s dark past and the negative association many outsiders have with it. The letters are painted on the rooftops of Tripoli’s Bab al-Tabbaneh and Jabal Mohsen neighbourhoods, which witnessed intense fighting and attacks between rival Sunni and Shi’a groups from 2011 to 2015. Since then, NGOs and community groups have been promoting reconciliation efforts and working to improve the underlying poverty that fuelled the conflict. Tripoli today is a budding tourist destination, with ancient souks, mosques and an imposing Crusader castle.
The Kabbani brothers are natives of Beirut, but produced this project in Tripoli. Having been born and brought up during the Lebanese Civil War, they founded Ashekman in 2001 as a way to express themselves, initially through rap.
“The civil war, or the war in the region and the conflict in the region, were a major influence on our art,” Omar says.
Ashekman eventually turned to graffiti and Arabic calligraphy after using street tags as a way to market their music. Since then, they have created large-scale murals using Arabic calligraphy throughout Lebanon, but also in Kuwait and Dubai.
Yet, Operation Salam was truly a herculean task – the Kabbani brothers worked with 52 people they employed from the local community over the course of three weeks, working 10 hours every day, after a three-year planning phase.
“It was very important for us to include the local communities in Operation Salam,” Omar says, adding that the project was developed on apartment rooftops, the residents of which were people who lived through the civil war.
Although at first locals were sceptical about the project, Omar says that after they learned about the motivations for the scheme, they became excited and eager to help. He added that, given the success of Operation Salam, Ashekman is exploring similar projects in other conflict-stricken parts of the world.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.