For a small country, the amount of artists, thinkers and writers that have emerged from Lebanon is staggering. It’s common today to walk the streets of a major Lebanese city and wander into a cultural cafe, live band event or gallery! Music is also one of the country’s biggest creative outlets. Here are seven things you may not have known about Lebanon’s music scene.
It’s alive and kicking
You may not always hear about Lebanon, and certainly not about its music scene, but it’s very lively. From band battles to indie bands and an Arabic-based industry, a lot of auditory and visual art arises from this small country. Even today, the country is experiencing a boom in live band culture with the rise of cultural hangouts!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
It has a deep history
Music in Lebanon is deeply rooted in the locals’ national consciousness. From the writing of the National Anthem in 1925 to countless patriotic songs, music seems to be a driving force in the small country. Fayrouz, a local singer, has been one of the country’s leading voices for generations. A popular face in Lebanese musical theatre, she has made the industry’s history iconic. To this day, musical theatre is a big part of Lebanese production.
It’s a big part of Lebanese people’s lives
Dabke, parties and musical theatre all prove the importance of music to the Lebanese. It’s a running joke that you haven’t grown up in a Lebanese household if you weren’t woken up by Fayrouz’s voice in the morning. In a country plagued by political turmoil, the locals have found solace in art and music. You’ll often find that the rumour about the way Lebanese people party is quite true!
A lot of it is in English
A lot of the music arising from Lebanon today is in English. Bands like The Wanton Bishops and Who Killed Bruce Lee have enjoyed relative success with music that is entirely in English. As globalization reaches farther and education in Lebanon turns towards English instead of French, many of the country’s youth expect their music to fit their lifestyle.
Or a fusion of Western and Arabic influences
Speaking of youth wanting music that fits their aesthetic, today, there’s a curious generation of millennials in Lebanon. Having been brought up with Western influences in an Arab society, their art is now mirroring their fused lives. Bands like Mashrou’ Leila are really popular for combining indie sounds, Arabic lyrics and social issues that plague them.
Lebanese singers are popular all over the world
That is not to say that English has taken over the Lebanese music industry. Many singers like Majida El Roumi, Assi El Helani and more enjoy global success with the intense spread of a Lebanese diaspora. It’s not surprising to see a Lebanese singer perform a concert in London or in the US as more and more interest is drawn to Arabic societies by their inheritors in the West.
The rock music scene is popular in Lebanon
In Lebanon, it’s not strange to find teenagers well-versed in classic rock and alternative music. It seems that day by day, the genre’s popularity is gaining momentum in the country as more local bands embrace it. It’s quite normal to walk into a venue or event and seeing a local band playing some of the world’s biggest rock hits and some of the most obscure alternative songs you may have never known existed!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.