Lebanon is known for its diverse and rich cuisine. Many flock to the country just for the food and good time that goes along with it. But what comes to mind first when you read ‘Lebanese Food’? If it’s tabbouleh, kebabs or arak, I wouldn’t blame you – they are distinctly Lebanese dishes. The cuisine, however, is not an everyday barbecue; here are seven dishes that foreigners usually don’t hear about.
Kousa bi banadoura
Kousa bi banadoura (stuffed tomato zucchini) is zucchini stuffed with rice and minced meat. The zucchini is then cooked in tomato soup which is seasoned with onions, garlic and dried mint. Occasionally aubergines with the same stuffing are cooked alongside the zucchini. Another variation of the dish is zucchini cooked in Arabic yoghurt.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This regional food, presumably introduced though Ottoman influence, is made of little meat dumplings cooked in unsweetened yoghurt and seasoned with onion, garlic and coriander. When served, the shish barak ‘soup’ is poured over a mixture of rice and lentils.
Warak enab (grapevine leaves) is one of Lebanon’s most prized dishes. It is served on religious holidays such as Eid or Easter, but it can also a regular menu item for some households. It is not made often simply because of the effort it takes to make. The grapevine leaves must be the perfect size, caefully stuffed with the right amount of rice and meat and then rolled just right and set to cook over night. The little rolls are boiled in a mixture of lemon atop a layer of meat and bones. This recipe is definitely not made for everyday consumption.
Served raw, grilled, fried or stewed, nothing is more Lebanese then kibbeh. The base of the dish is a mixture of meat, goat, onion and basil. When served raw, the main ingredients are spread out on a plate and eaten with pita bread. When grilled or fried, the kebbeh base is shaped into dome dumplings and stuffed with more meat and occasionally chilli. When stewed, the mixture is spread over a layer of minced meat and onion then cooked in an oven, almost like a Lebanese version of meatloaf.
Batata bi kezbara
Batata bi kezbara is a small appetizer made of diced fried potato seasoned with coriander and sometimes chilli. For some locals, the dish is so savoury, they will eat a plate for lunch. It is usually eaten with pita bread or a fork.
Lahm bi ajeen
Perhaps one of the defining pastries in Lebanon, specifically in Tripoli, is lahm bi ajeen (meat in dough). What distinguishes it in from the more known safiha is the way the meat is prepared: it is cooked first with onion and mint then with tahini, parsley and pomegranate molasses; after, it’s spread out across squares of special dough and grilled. The dish is usually served as an appetizer but can be eaten it its own on some occasions.
The Lebanese have a tendency to fry everything. From vegetables to meat and chicken, anything can be deep-fried. The most common dishes are fried cauliflower and aubergine: many households have a spread for lunch consisting of fried cauliflower, aubergine and potato, all eaten with pita bread. The same dishes can be served as appetizers during a feast as well.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.