Kuwaiti cuisine is one of the most popular worldwide, representing the fusion of Lebanese, Indian, Persian and Mediterranean flavours.
Kuwait has a number of interesting places, attractions and activities to enjoy, but the cuisine is definitely something you won’t want to miss out on. From sophisticated fine dining restaurants to tiny informal rooms that serve up mouth-watering dishes, there’s something for everyone.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you do have a trip to Kuwait planned, make sure you enrich your cultural experience by eating authentic Kuwaiti food at one of these incredible establishments.
A jewel in Kuwait’s cuisine crown, Khaneen provides the best place to enjoy traditional Kuwaiti food. It boasts a menu filled with pan-fried dishes, charcoal grill, soups, salads and desserts. For a dash of crunchy salads, choose between the fattoush or house salad, which adds texture to your meal. For the main course, try out their mouth-watering biryani options of lamb or chicken, or the Chicken Machboos. If you prefer something simple however, there is meat kabab, mixed grill and kabab and yogurt. Wrap up with the traditional Kuwaiti baked custard – elba, which provides a perfectly sweet finale to a very enjoyable meal.
Embark on a cultural culinary journey at this beautifully constructed modern Kuwaiti fine dining destination. This two-story villa-esque restaurant is built in a way that embodies the artisanal qualities of the sandooq mubayat (the traditional dowry box) and is decorated in a way reminiscent of old Kuwait. Expect to find traditional food that has been served within Kuwaiti households for the last 50 years, as well as dishes with a new twist. Start your meal with some delicious murabyan (rice and shrimp), before savouring the mouthwatering salmon fillet from the grill and finishing off the night with some delicious date pudding.
Dikakeen is a Kuwaiti fusion restaurant that combines the best of traditional in Kuwait, with a fun and engaging souk-style atmosphere. Dikakeen offers a whimsical vibe, filled with vintage Kuwaiti memorabilia. Meals come in shareable platters, ready to be eaten with your hands or scooped with fresh bread that a baker will prepare right in front of you. Here, you can expect to find some family recipes passed down from the owner’s mother, along with other original creations. Don’t miss out on the classics like shawarmas, falafels, kubba (meat balls), and mishaltit (flat pastry), with the option of adding a modern twist.
Established over 15 years ago and housed in a 50-year-old building, Shatea Al Watyia is filled with pictures and artifacts preserved from the last half decade. Its heavy wooden doors and window frames are original, and so are the thatched reed ceilings. Here, you will find the waiters dressed in traditional attire: dara’a (long dress) for the ladies and wizar (plaid cloth wrapped at the waist) for men. Try their famous machboos with fresh na’ime Arabic Beef. All dishes are served with Kuwaiti ajar (tomato sauce), maboush (flatbread) and fresh vegetables.
Located in one of The Avenues’ Souq squares, Amiti Noura serves authentic Kuwaiti cuisine with a homemade touch. This restaurant mimics an Arabian market with outdoor street seating and upon visiting you will find yourself noticing the beautiful abayas that the hostesses are wearing as they welcome you inside. Watch the chefs in the open kitchen as they make magic using fresh ingredients, spices, herbs and large pots. Try out the chicken machbous and murabyan as main dishes and don’t leave the table without having some tea. Keeping up with true Arab hospitality, the shiny copper teapot that is brought to the table has its own heating contraption to keep the tea nice and hot and the beverage is served in the traditional small gold-trimmed glass cups.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.