Hundreds of years have passed since the first house in Tel Aviv was built. Modern structures, both fresh and futuristic, conquer the noisy Israeli city, while the main principals provided by the first builders of Tel Aviv are still valuable. Discover the people and projects of modern architects who continue to recreate the style of the White City.
Leon Gaignebet was born in 1938 in Damascus, Syria. He became a certified architect in 1967. Leon is not just the architect, but also the artist who fuses the harmony and beauty of sculpture and painting with strict principles of construction engineering. Inspired by Mandelbrot‘s mathematical theory, Leon stands firmly on the architectural ideas and principles of the past, tying them up with history and geography. Deep knowledge and precise calculations made Gaignebet be able to construct modern and innovative buildings, which stay up-to-date many years after. In Tel Aviv, Leon Gaignebet is known for his Crazy house.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Preston Scott Cohen
Preston Scott Cohen is an architect, the Chair of the Department of Architecture and the Gerald M. McCue Professor of Architecture at Harvard University Graduate School of Design. Cohen has written numerous theoretical and historical essays about architecture, which have been widely published, while his works of art are exhibited in modern art galleries and museums. As an architect, Preston Scott uses most advanced digital technologies in computer modeling to combine modern forms with 17th century descriptive geometry. The resulting complex design challenges usual conceptions of the ordered architecture. Tel Aviv Museum of Modern Art is a perfect example of Preston Scott Cohen’s work.
Axelrod Grobman Architects
Axelrod Grobman Architects is an architectural collaboration founded by Irit Axelrod and Dr. Yasha J. Grobman. The main principle of Axelrod Grobman’s architects lies in the combination of holistic design together with social, environmental and economic factors. Both Irit and Yasha studied in Israel. However, Grobman not only holds a PhD in architecture, but is also a lecturer in Israeli universities. Innovative approach and unquestioning talents has brought more than 20 international awards for Axelrod Grobman Architects. The works of this company can be found all over Israel, while in Tel Aviv, a Porter School of Environmental Studies can be seen.
Pitsou Kedem Architect
The company Pitsou Kedem Architect, was founded in 2002 by a graduate of the Architectural Association in London, Pitsou Kedem. Now the company consists of 13 eminent architects, most of whom are the graduates from Israeli universities. Pitsou Kedem’s designs are based on principals of restricted formality. Being minimalistic in style, the works of studio represent harmonic and clean architectural solutions, while unique handwriting is well recognizable. Pitsou Kedem Architect’s has received many awards. Their works can be found all over Tel Aviv, however, the most notable works are the Tel Aviv Townhouse and the Factory Jaffa House.
Kimmel Eshkolot Architects
Kimmel Eshkolot Architects was founded in Tel Aviv in 1986 by Etan Kimmel and Michal Kimmel-Eshkolot. Etan and Michal graduated from the architectural faculty of Technion, and they are both lecturers at Israeli universities, sharing their experience and true passion of essential and rich architecture with the next generation. Throughout the years, they have won a number of national competitions. This is a studio of Etan and Michal, which was involved in the preservation and rehabilitation of Neve Tzedek. In Tel Aviv the studio is most known for Steinhardt Museum of Nature, which is located on the Tel Aviv University campus.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.