Travellers visiting the opulent city of Tel Aviv don’t need to worry about spending all their money on expensive hotel rooms, the ‘Nonstop City’ has a plethora of affordable hostel options from which to choose. From rooms set in charming old buildings to beachfront properties with spectacular views of the sea, visitors are spoilt for choice in their search for the best hostels in Tel Aviv.
The owners had already established their hip hostel credentials with the Abraham Jerusalem, which is all-but legendary in hostel circles. Their Tel Aviv counterpart has the same great atmosphere and boasts 380 beds (both mixed and single-sex options are available) – the largest hostel in the city. Although it’s located in the city centre and is close to Tel Aviv’s key nightspots, the Abraham Hostel hosts many of its own events, including live music with the occasional dancing, pub quizzes and a Shabbat dinner every Saturday. Murals of biblical figures, especially the one after whom the hostel is presumably named, adorn the walls of common areas, and swinging chairs and hammocks make up its clean, modern look. Guests congregate on the rooftop where there’s a bar and a good mix of both young and old. A full Israeli breakfast is included in the price, and there’s a shared kitchen for those staying indoors.
Overstay is an art-forward hostel, run by creative owners and their equally creative staff, many of whom are volunteers from abroad, and often create some of the art installations on display. The hostel, furnished in finds from friends’ houses and giveaways, provides just the basics to keep costs as low as possible. For instance, towels and locks are available to rent. It’s a fun stay with great experiential events, such as tahini-making workshops on the roof, giving guests plenty to do.
How about sharing drinks with a new friend on the rooftop of a hostel in Tel Aviv’s ultimate scruffy, hip neighbourhood? Florentine Backpackers is named after the neighbourhood that is Tel Aviv’s answer to Bushwick, a one-time furniture-manufacturing enclave where today aromas from market spices, espresso from third-wave coffee houses, baking from patisseries and weed waft together in the air. Florentine Backpackers channels the neighbourhood vibe where an international crowd has breakfast in the morning or late-night drinks on the hostel rooftop space. They might stay there, whiling away the day on a hammock, or they might go out to explore Florentine together. There is a variety of sleeping options on the hostel’s three floors, where walls are filled with postcards of Israel’s scenes, from private rooms with a double bed and a private room with two singles to various dorm configurations.
Little Tel Aviv Hostel is located just five minutes away from famous HaCarmel market and near the pivotal Rothschild Boulevard, where people can be found leisurely strolling down the leafy promenade, or sitting on a bench while sipping a fresh-squeezed juice from a nearby vendor. The hostel has 58 beds divided into four- and six-bed dorms (mixed and single-sex), and private rooms with twin beds and economy twin beds. Linens, toiletries and free Wi-Fi (even in the rooms) are provided. Each month, the walls in the common rooms are offered to different artists to hang their work on. The hostel owners organise great experiential tours, including a pub crawl on Thursdays and Sundays, and vegan food tours. An on-site restaurant offers a 20% food and beverage discount to guests. The hostel’s best feature might be its open-air shared space with a charming garden.
This article is an updated version of a story created by Lior Kantor.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.