Jerusalem‘s eclectic inventory of accommodation includes a buzzing hostel scene, demonstrating how popular the Holy Land is with younger travellers. Several of these new hostels have been developed in landmark buildings by canny entrepreneurs with an eye for detail. For an immersive experience of the city, choose one of these top central hostels close to the Old City or the Downtown Triangle, bookable on Culture Trip.
On Jaffa Street, between Zion Square and the Old City, the Post is a dynamic hostel located on the top floor of the city’s imposing 1930s-built Central Post Office. Accommodation ranges from doubles and triples to 12-bed dorms. It’s modern and thoughtfully run with an outdoor roof terrace, a communal kitchen and lounge, plus a “chillout” room with a pool table. The atmosphere is convivial, with weekly yoga and jam sessions, hummus- and beer-making workshops and movie nights.
Once the Orion Cinema, this handsome 1940s building was saved from dereliction in 2018 by its clever conversion into a hostel. Much of the building’s original fabric and architecture have been preserved, and some of its private rooms and (mostly) bunk-bed dorms reference movies with pictures and posters. From hanging basket-chairs to decorative film spools and tripod-mounted movie cameras, the decor is fun and quirky. Expect movie nights, yoga, cookery, Hebrew classes and weekly live music.
The Stay’s snazzy interiors, with geometric bathroom tiling and neon signage on bedroom walls, are a playful take on the hostel concept. There’s a vast array of rooms, from straightforward doubles to eight-bed “jumbo” family rooms – and with gigantic, 80s-style room numbers on the doors, you won’t forget which one you’re in. There’s also an in-house bar and restaurant, along with a roof terrace. But with the restaurants of lively King George St at your door, you may want to step out in the evening.
Biblical Abraham was arguably the region’s first traveller; the Abraham Hostel takes inspiration from this, urging guests to “stop working, start travelling” with its colourful wall decals. Straightforward yet snazzy private rooms and dorms come with a communal beanbag-strewn lounge and kitchen, plus laundry facilities. There’s a late-night bar, along with an atmospheric roof terrace lit with fairy lights. Expect an eclectic mix of activities, from yoga sessions and hummus workshops to organised pub crawls and shabbat dinners.
Lording over a side street just off Paris Square, the Agron’s imposing facade and 60 rooms give it a hotel feel. Choose from dorms, family rooms or double rooms, each with an old-school hostelling vibe. Generous (and kosher) breakfasts are included in the tariff. If you’re after a more youthful party scene, this probably isn’t the place, but it’s ideal for a quieter, more leisurely stay in a peerless location.
This is an updated rewrite of an article by Taly Sharon.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.