If you’re visiting Jerusalem’s Wailing Wall and Church of the Holy Sepulchre with friends or family, book an apartment for a more independent, authentic stay.
The city of Jerusalem may be home to some of the oldest religious landmarks in the world, but it has a young and vibrant energy that shines through its thriving café culture, hip bars and breezy rooftop restaurants. The best way to get under the skin of this unique city is to live like a local. Your first point of call, therefore, needs to be booking a super-cool apartment in the hippest of neighbourhoods for your stay.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The calming subtle colour scheme at King David is immediately disrupted with some seriously quirky decor details – from plush crushed velvet throws to red leather sofas. All rooms are soundproof and strictly non-smoking for your guaranteed comfort, while kitchens are fully equipped. The young, friendly staff are on hand to offer tips on the local area and help plan day trips to the Dead Sea. Jerusalem city centre is under 2km (1.2mi) away, and the Western Wall is within walking distance.
You’d be right in thinking Mamilla Residences sounds a little upmarket. This luxury apartment on the fifth floor offers fantastic city views and has three huge bedrooms, a fully equipped kitchen and a bright living space. The mural-size TV screen and large dining room table make this the perfect luxe pad for a family or group trip. It accommodates eight people with one double bed and six singles. Go for a leisurely stroll to explore the Old City and the many other attractions on foot from here.
This apartment exudes a dreamy comforting glow in one part, while the living room has a dramatic stone feature wall, lofty ceiling and jet black furniture. Made up of 16 units in total, the Jaffa 60 Aparthotel sits within 2km (1.2mi) of the centre of Jerusalem. A 20-minute walk will lead you to the history-rich Via Dolorosa Street, while Jaffa Gate and the Dome of the Rock are nearby. The nearby Nagila Vegan Restaurant comes highly recommended for breakfast.
These hip hotel apartments on Ben Yehuda Street, the city’s central business district, are chic with statement 1960s-style wallpaper and vintage-inspired furniture, and the bedrooms are drenched in natural light. Units range from single rooms to roomy one-bed suites. The welcome bottle of wine and fresh flowers on arrival are a nice touch. You are in a great spot to explore Jerusalem on foot – Temple Mount and Mount Zion are within easy access by car.
The owners here have been in the hospitality business for 30 years and know what they’re doing. Inside, the apartments have everything you need to cook, get comfy and stay connected. The building sits adjacent to the Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall. Not to be mistaken for a shiny indoor American-style complex, this “mall” is three adjoining streets offering a diverse mix of restaurants, cafés, art galleries and markets. The Old City is a 15-minute walk away.
Housed in three magnificent Jerusalem-stone buildings, you’ll find 35 stylish suites and a luxurious penthouse. On street level, you are in the heart of Baka, a beautiful leafy neighbourhood. It’s within easy reach of all the major historical attractions as well as the Train Track Park, a 7km (4.3mi) stretch of urban park on (you guessed it) an old railway track. The apartments have their own eatery on-site, Grand Café, with a private French pâtisserie and a deli. Come nightfall, it becomes a twinkly bistro, and all guests get a 10% discount.
The owner Ziv will cook up a breakfast feast every day, with freshly baked breads and lots of Israeli delights included in the price and served in the hotel’s street-level café. This family-run operation is homely, quirky and comfortable. Rooms are clean and modern, and the solid wooden furniture and polished floorboards add a wholesome luxury feel. You are 50m (160ft) from the Shuk (Machane Yehuda Market), 350m (1,150ft) from Ben Yehuda Street.
Walk too quickly and you might miss the small entrance to this boutique apartment hotel, next to the Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall. Inside, the snug lobby leads to generously sized apartments with wrap-around balconies (in the deluxe rooms). The city’s main transport links are close by on foot, and the young and energetic staff here will happily point you in the right direction of all the main sights and some lesser known gems.
White-washed rooms may sound clinical, but this is one uplifting living space; touches like the disco ball in the kitchen add some personality. The trendy Nahalat Shiv’a neighbourhood is on your doorstep. Pedestrian streets are lined with busy cafés and bars. Haggle with locals at Machane Yehuda Market (the Shuk), a 10-minute walk away, while street singers and musicians entertain you.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.