Explore Jerusalem like a local by staying in the heart of its ancient epicentre, close to the world’s most famous religious sites.
The Old City within Israel’s capital Jerusalem is a labyrinth of alleyways, linking holy sites such as the Wailing Wall, Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the Dome of the Rock. These stand as historical cornerstones to three of the world’s great religions – Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Here are Culture Trip’s pick of the best holiday apartments in the oldest part of town.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What’s a holiday without a stay in a luxury penthouse? The opulent four-bedroom Keren Yayesod apartment sits in the Talbieh neighbourhood with the Great Synagogue and Zion Square under a 10-minute drive away. Here, 220sq m (2,368sq ft) of floor space comfortably accommodates 10 people, plus it is flooded with natural light, thanks to the floor-to-ceiling windows. Friendly staff will load the fridge with groceries before your arrival, book city tours and organise daily breakfast deliveries. Daily housekeeping is also included.
Rest easy knowing you’re in a neighbourhood renowned for its delicious eateries and buzzy nightlife. This one-bed apartment is close to Jerusalem’s landmark sights and the Mahane Yehuda Market, with 250 vendors selling fresh food and produce. Inside, expect touches of Jerusalem gold, colourful art and hi-spec furnishings.
If going off-track is your thing, take a detour south of Jerusalem to Be’er Sheva, the largest city in the Negev desert and a vibrant tech-hub — once a tiny fishing village. The Beer Sheva Old City Apartments offer new, super-stylish serviced units. Expect a fully equipped kitchen and fine bed linen. Foodies will love this area – it is full of budget-friendly street food alongside refined sit-down feasts. For a wide range of choice under one roof, head to the food hall Landwer Cafe Ishpro Planet.
Stay Jaffa apartments are affordable, modern and smack-bang in the centre on Jaffa street — one of the longest and oldest major streets in Jerusalem. Rooms have soundproof walls, so you can collapse into a deep slumber, whatever parties are still going on outside. Expect homely touches and heaving fruit bowls. The common lounge and shared kitchen are great places to swap notes with fellow travellers.
From the same crowd behind Stay Jaffa but with a slightly more mature, elevated feel, Stay Kook offers spacious rooms in earthy muted tones. Don’t worry, it’s still budget-friendly. Rooms span from family-size doubles to the junior suite with a terrace and private bathroom. The young multilingual staff will happily reveal Jerusalem’s best secrets. Try nearby Zalman’s for a creative spin on the humble hotdog and Cafe Bastet for Israeli vegan breakfasts, chai cookies and great coffee.
These sleek and modern apartment suites are decorated with a luxury minimalist style, including flashes of bright yellow and gold, which add warmth. Enjoy a glass of wine on your balcony overlooking the hum of Jaffa Street, before exploring the eateries and bars at ground level. Each unit has a fully equipped kitchen, living area and a private bathroom with free toiletries.
Colour-coded apartments range from one- to three-beds. The green apartment, for example, is “natural and harmonic”, featuring real pot plants and framed pictures of pot plants too. The yellow room is “hipster, chic and joyful” with a pink sofa (curve ball), balcony and sunshine pouring in from every window. The staff are helpful and Golda provides unlimited local sim cards.
This luxury apartment is on the fifth floor with fantastic city views, three bedrooms, two bathrooms and a fully equipped kitchen. Plush, stretched sofas go on for miles, while the mural-sized TV screen and dining room table (seating eight comfortably) makes this the perfect luxe pad for a family or group trip. The property is close to green parks and just a few steps from the Old City. You’ll have The Church of the Holy Sepulchre on one side and The Great Synagogue on the other, with plenty of eateries to discover in between.
The comfy double beds in the King David Luxury Apartments come with crushed velvet throws and gold-framed paintings of sea-battered ships. All rooms are soundproof and strictly non-smoking. You are just under two kilometres from Jerusalem city centre and within walking distance to the Western Wall. If you fancy a craft cocktail, head to the nearby Zuta.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.