Israel contains a diverse population. In addition to its 81 per cent Jewish majority, the country is home to people of the Islamic, Christian and Druze faiths, as well as other minorities such as the Bahai religion. Perhaps the most unique and enigmatic of all these minorities is the 120,000 strong, Arabic-speaking Druze community, whose faith is an offshoot of Ismaili Islam.
Who are they?
The Druze faith was founded in 11th-century Fāṭimid Egypt and today its people are scattered around Israel, Syria and Lebanon. The Druze believe their faith to be an interpretation of the three main monotheistic religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. They have a fervent belief in reincarnation and see Moses, Jesus and Mohammed as prophets. Moreover, it is a highly secretive and closed off religion: no one is allowed to convert into the faith, virtually no one marries out, and their religious literature is in the hands of just a handful of religious initiates known as the uqqal. The holiest Druze site in Israel is Jethro’s Tomb, overlooking Lake Kinneret near Tiberias. Located in a large, mosque-like building, it is a site of annual pilgrimage.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Where do they live?
Israel’s Druze communities live in the country’s north, in the Carmel, Galilee and Golan regions. Their biggest town is Daliat el-Karmel, which, along with the neighbouring town of Isfiya, has been popular for many years among tourists and Israelis seeking authentic Druze food, hospitality, and markets. The Druze people are renowned for their warmth, openness and hospitality. If you enter a Druze market shop, chances are you’ll be greeted with handshakes, hugs, kisses, and sweets!
Most of Israel’s Druzim have rejected Arab nationalism. In the pre-state era, they faced persecution by Arab nationalists and consequently many fought alongside Israel during the 1948 War of Independence. A long-term bond was formed that continues to this day: most of Israel’s Druze community are loyal to the state and they are the only major non-Jewish group serving in the Israeli military, the result of the 1956 “Covenant of Blood” conscription agreement.
However, in contrast to those living in the Carmel and Galilee, the Druzim living in the Golan – a region captured by Israel from Syria during the 1967 Six Day War – are in fact Syrian citizens with permanent resident visas in Israel, and generally identify with Syria rather than the Israeli state.
Standing in Israeli society
Due to their loyalty to the state of Israel, Druzim have, on the whole, good relations with Jewish Israelis and are fully integrated members of society. A significant number vote for mainstream Zionist parties in elections, the men serve in the Israel Defence Forces, and they have worked – and continue to work – in the upper echelons of the state’s military and government.
Druze cuisine is seasonal, fresh, and made using local produce from the region’s green, fertile hills. Staples include stuffed grape leaves; thin pita accompanied with za’atar, labneh cheese, olive oil, olives, tabouleh, or hummus; mansaf (meat with yoghurt and rice – a common combination), and mujadara (a lentil, rice and onion pilaf).
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.