Israel is one of the most extraordinary destinations to visit. If you have been around before, you may have seen all those mainstream historical gems, including the Western Wall, Masada, and the ruins of Caesarea. However there is so much more to be seen in Israel: read our guide to the country’s hidden gems.
Darom Adom (Scarlet South)
Every spring, thousands of flowers take over the landscapes of the Negev. With its bright red color and its magnificent aroma, Calanit (anemones) recently became the Israeli national flower. From February to May, people are able to see this unique flower blooming.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the north of Israel, there is a magical city with quaint cobbled streets. Founded by a group of religious immigrants—financed by Baron Rothschild back in the 1800s—Rosh Pina became a cherished Israeli hidden gem. Full of restaurants and art galleries, this town is the perfect place for tourists interested in both the old and new Israeli culture. Among its numerous attractions, highlights include an antique synagogue and valuable architectural pieces. At the top of the hill is the Nimrod Lookout, which offers a monumental sight of the Hula Valley. Baron Rothschild’s gardens, built in the late 19th century and designed by the same creators of the Versailles gardens, are located nearby and well worth the visit.
Located in an Arab village near Kfar Saba, the Tira shuk (market) is a cool and secret alternative to the Shuk Hacarmel. This is the only market open to the public on Saturdays, and plays host to a vibrant mix of colors, flavors and scents. With a wide variety of products, including spices, clothing, jewellery, and fresh fruit, there’s something to keep all travellers entertained. Highlightts include the phenomenal shawarma, falafel and a plate of hummus which you can buy for only 10 shekels ($2.50 dollars). The smell of the market will make your mouth water and tempt you to try these traditional foods.
The Dor beach, located on the Mediterranean coast offers a luxurious mix of expansive horizons and reams of white sand. The Dor HaBonim Beach Nature Reserve is located within walking difference, and you can find natural treasures such as the Shell Bay, Blue Caves and Hill of Blossoms. On the Habonim side there is a camping site in which you can sleep under the stars with the sea as your backyard.
Located near Jerusalem, the Avshalom Caves are a 300,000 year-old treasure. Throughout the millenniums, flowing water has sculpted spectacular stalactites and stalagmites. There are four-meter stalactites which have reached the above stalagmites and evolved into magnificent stone pillars. Rumour has it that images of Moses can be discovered throughout the cave.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.